FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 AM

Ztype-first of all, welcome to kiteboarding.
Second-Listen to experienced kiters advice, we have been down this road before.You may have mad skills in other sports(we all do as well), but this is kiteboarding. You are brand new, and can't possibly know the dangers involved with this sport. You are now dealing with mother nature, and she will win everytime.... Being a kiter is not about busting 900's, kiteloops and handlepasses. Its about knowing the weather patterns, rules of the road, and how to save your OWN ass when things go wrong.(rest assured, they will!)Its also about knowing when and where to launch, and when to call it a day. You are lucky enough to live in an area full of safety minded kiters, who are always willing to help you out.(as long as you're not hard headed, and think you can learn this on your own.)
You have a responsibility as a newbie to seek qualified instruction, and to FOLLOW THE PROGRAM ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Body dragging is a long way from spinning 900's, believe me....Be patient, this is a learning PROCESS. You have been body dragging, but how's you deep water relaunch? or,Self rescue? (two things that you life depends on in kiting)
We, as experienced kiters, need to keep a watchful eye at our spots for kooks. If you see someone who looks confused or like they don't have a clue, DO NOT LAUNCH THEIR KITE! TALK TO THEM AND FIND OUT IF THEY HAVE HAD PROPER INSTRUCTION. 1/2 a lesson isn't good enough.

Be safe, not sorry...
Happy Kiting!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Skyway Scott

Good post, Steve (and everyone on this thread)

We just want you safe, not sorry.

Please further your instruction and happy kiting.
It's a good investment in yourself and makes it clear to the community that you take our welfare seriously as well.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil Kenevil
DO NOT LAUNCH THEIR KITE! TALK TO THEM AND FIND OUT IF THEY HAVE HAD PROPER INSTRUCTION. 1/2 a lesson isn't good enough.

Be safe, not sorry...
Happy Kiting!
Steve that would be verry un-sportsman like of you. :twisted:
Old 05-09-2006, 02:37 PM

haha Shawn...
I am working on being more "sportsmanlike" in my old age...
My opinion now has 40% more candy coating than leading brands... :wink: (should I change my name to Eminem?) :lol:
Old 05-09-2006, 03:09 PM

WOW
First, I must say nobody was this concerned about my safety since i moved out my parent's house.............

I will apologize in advance for my hard-headedness, but it's like a granite rock, mind you......

Now I didn't take half lesson, It was a 6 hours ordeal.
I learned that the kite is lounched from the edge of the wind window, passing other kiters, the guy upwind takes the kite high, and the guy downwind keeps it low and is "supposed" to yeld to the guy upwind.
I did deep water re-launch, I let the bar slide and crash the kite and then did self-rescue.

Furthermore, I'd consider taking more lessions if they weren't 100 $/h, matter of fact, at this point I couldn't afford them if they were 25 $/h.

Last thing I want to do is piss people off, but I just don't see anything else I need to learn other than getting up and riding.
And the first thing I need to do when I get up is learn to go upwind (kite on the edge of the window, all the weight on the back foot).

I am hard headed, and I've been hurt more times than some people had have breakfast and trust me I don't intend on doing anything stupid.
I welcome any advice here or on the beach, but please understand that I can't keep looking at the gear just sitting in my living room.......
Old 05-09-2006, 03:34 PM

We all understand the feeling, Z. We are just VERY cautious about who just walks out onto the beach and decides to launch a kite because the wind is blowing, not thinking about the ramifications of kite size vs. your weight vs. wind speed/quality/direction, etc.

You will see with time that all of the people that have posted here are great people and will be your good friends before you know it, we just HAVE to be cautious or we will ALL pay the price, and it WON'T be cheap!!!

That being said, who gave you your lessons? It is good to hear that you have had some pretty extensive lessons. But why didn't they work with trying to get you up and riding on the board? :?

We all know how your pocketbook feels, we all went through it and are now spending every spare dime we have on something kiteboard-related. If you have a wife or girlfriend, let her know that she will now come second. The truth hurts... :wink:

Anyway, at the very least, try to make sure you at least have a buddy when riding. We are all friendly (except for E-Bone :lol: ) and will be more than happy to help you in any way we can. Just remember, SAFETY FIRST!!!

It is good to meet you, hope to see you out on the beach real soon!

Toby
Old 05-09-2006, 03:47 PM

As I said before I am very aware of the dangers of kiting, for myself and everyone else in any way, and that's why I welcome all advice and critique.
The only reason I didn't ride with the instructor is because the wind died. hehehehehe and I will keep his name confidential so if I do embarass myself, it's only me... :lol: he did a great job in covering all safety measures ( for two damn hours) and all the rules of kiting and safe kite operation. From there it's all me.......

sorry if I sounded like a moron saying that i first bought all the gear and then took classes, but it was a great deal and I just couldn't pass it....
You'll see what I am talking about once you see what I got

anyway I give you all my scout word that I won't do anything stupid, and will consult more experienced kiters in case of any doubt.

You all look like really cool bunch and I have no intentions of making a jackass out of myself and phucking it up for everyone else.

Z
Old 05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Skyway Scott

Z,

The fact that you are on here seems like a good sign.
Your response seems rational (not defensive or offensive) as well.
Sounds like you have a decent head start and are willing to ask/listen to advice. All good qualities to have. Seems to me if you ask for guidance and then take the advice, you can't really go that far wrong. (unless given really bad advice :shock: )

Hey... can you somehow bring wind to St. Pete for us ALL to have so you can practice and we ALL can ride? Good luck with it, and just ask the guys out there, we all just want to keep it safe.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 PM

cool, now we're all on the same page I will be praying to Jah for the rest of the week for SSW 25 MPH with gusts up to 35 just for the hell of it :evil:
Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Skyway Scott

OH YEAH.