FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-12-2006, 08:29 PM
E-Bone

Ok, if it there is no wind tomorrow, I will probably work on some bags.

Daryl and Pat at Extreme are demanding Hello Kitty bags, but I don't know if they are serious. They are rednecks up in NE Florida, so I'll make them bags with a beer can print or an emo-looking deer or something.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Skyway Scott

I think they are more "beach bummy" up in Auggie, aren't they?
If anything St.Pete has more rednecks, Mr. E.

Either way, I think the bags are cool. Anything that's one of a kind is better than the silver DaKine bags. In addition, with all these super wide boards out, has DaKine even come out with one that wide? I think you might have a jump start on the super wide board bag (w/ or w/o hello kitties on it). :wink:
Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 PM

E, what would the range on that 15m ion be for a 150-160lb rider be? And what would it be for a 190lb rider?

Also, Scott... you think I could give that board a shot?

Looking for equipment for my dad... still gotta get his old ass out there...

The parents have $ so they can afford all the cool new stuff.

And scott, what would those TD's have in range as far as a 150lb and a 190lb rider?
Old 05-13-2006, 12:33 AM
E-Bone

I weigh 180 and I think I would be lit but still comfortable around 20mph, but if it stays there, I'm rigging the 9m.

150-160 pounds, it's hard for me to say. I haven't seen that weight in a while. Maybe cap in terms of being comfortable at 17-18 mph, but by then you are probably going to rig the small kite if it stays up. Again, I can't comment on what that weight feels like. I haven't been that weight since before kiteboarding started. Maybe for a smaller rider, a 12m and 7m are the two kite quiver.

The flat kites have much greater range but I don't see any reason to keep one in the air when you could also be powered on a much smaller flat kite that is much faster. If it is really gusty, that is one thing, but if you simply chose the wrong kite and the wind fills in like EB on a south wind, take 10 minutes to rig the smaller kite.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Skyway Scott

Kevin, of course you can try it out.

I have been up to 165 and down to 140 in kiting.

My experience is that in the lighter winds their is an advantage to weighing less. In the heavier winds, its not how much you weigh, its how strong your legs are, technnique, etc. All you gotta do is watch Billy ride an 18.5m in 20+ to see that is true. In lighter winds tho, if you use a bigger board, BAM.. you now weigh less (in a way)

So for the TDs, if you were on a smaller board and your dad on a Super Phatty I think the ranges would be about the same. Here is my educated guesses (only have 3 full days on each kite)

14m TD...low end SOLID 10 knots Upper end pushing 16 for average rider

10m TD... for you Kevin on a SP.. no lie 11 knots (Donna rode it barely upwind at the EB BX in 8.4 when no one else was riding on a 157 Wavetray)
Upper end on smaller board ----- pushing 25 knots for average rider.

Kevin. The TDs.... hmmmmm..... you asked. I advise trying all the brands of bow. Try the Caution Answer, the Flexi Ion, or yes... the Best Waroo. Try them all, don't just buy one without riding others. I bought my TDs based somewhat on brand loyalty, but, I am an not a blind worshipper of brands. I would try other brands.

Please try several bows before just getting one. I can't recommend the TDs myself (as being obviously the best) because I think the other kites may be just as good for the cash (Best) or maybe better for equal cash. Also, everyone wants something different from a kite.
My main complaint about the TDs- they feel grunty and don't turn all that fast.

I wish we had more stuff to demo (as in every single board and kite made.. that'd be SWEET!)
Luckily, we got guys like E-bone and others that let us demo THEIR gear.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 AM
E-Bone

That's right--and I'll keep handing my gear off to others as long as no one goes out and pounds my shit into the water or into the mangroves!

I think kites are like airplanes--it's better, in terms of durability, for them to be in the air than on the ground, and saves me the trouble of landing and relaunching every time I want to take a break.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 AM

I don't plan on switching to flat kites except for my low-wind machine...

I think my dad would be fine with a 14m bow style kite, I've gotta find a board though... super-fatty/phatty sounds nice though...

I'm sticking with my fuels... I love em' too much
Old 05-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Skyway Scott

Kev,

If going TD, the 14 is big enough, IMO.
Jayson told me he reached the same conclusion, if that helps.

The super phatty is sweet. Call or PM Big Air Al.. I don't think he likes posting.

http://www.aggressionkiteboarding.com/
Old 05-13-2006, 09:50 AM

Yeah, 14 is the largest I'd want to go... it'd give my dad plenty of range, hopefully from like 14-15knots-20odd knots, and it'd give me a really good low-end.

I like my Caution redline, I'll ride that thing until it breaks and only that board

It's got sentimental value now too.