FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Default Other worthy spots in S. Florida?

Hi guys,

I'm travelling to Islamorada in March for a kiting vacay with my fam (wife and 5yr old). I hope I get some decent wind during my visit which will be about 2.5wks long.

Our plan is to spend a week or so in the Keys and then possibly venture out to another area. In the past, we've traveled along the East coast (West Palm Bch, Lake Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Miami).

We'd like to check out another area within half-day's drive from the Keys (or Florida City) that offers great kiting and family friendly attractions/activites (ie not so crowded beach, stuff to see/do for 5yr old, scenic coastal roads for cycling). For kiting, a spot with decent waves would be nice seeing as how I might tire of flatwater after being in the Keys. I do enjoy a good strapless surf session as much as flatwater.

Can you recommend a good location that meets the above?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

There are lots of spots. As long as you are in the Keys, I would be sure to hit Key West as well. Even if there isn't wind there are things to do and see for a family. You could do a road trip to Jupiter up the east coast. There are nice waves there and things for the family to do in the area. Ft. Lauderdale has things for the family too but you need to be sure conditions will allow you to head close to dead offshore and stay beyond 100 yards until time to come in. The small launch is in the middle of a lifeguarded area. Pompano Beach by Hillsboro Inlet is another scenic area to checkout. There is more information in the top two stickies at http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_boy View Post
Hi guys,

I'm travelling to Islamorada in March for a kiting vacay with my fam (wife and 5yr old). I hope I get some decent wind during my visit which will be about 2.5wks long.

Our plan is to spend a week or so in the Keys and then possibly venture out to another area. In the past, we've traveled along the East coast (West Palm Bch, Lake Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Miami).

We'd like to check out another area within half-day's drive from the Keys (or Florida City) that offers great kiting and family friendly attractions/activites (ie not so crowded beach, stuff to see/do for 5yr old, scenic coastal roads for cycling). For kiting, a spot with decent waves would be nice seeing as how I might tire of flatwater after being in the Keys. I do enjoy a good strapless surf session as much as flatwater.

Thanks in advance.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_boy View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.
Pretty much everywhere you go in March will be busier as it is Spring Break time of year. When I want to get away from the Keys but I don't want the busy Lauderdale/Miami scene, I go to Cocoa Beach. Love it there! Great crowd, waves and flat water slicks in the north winds. Very beachy town. South Florida (Miami/Ft. Lau.) is much more city like and crowded even when not Spring Break.

A second place for the kids is the Orlando area. Awesome cable park, and plenty to do and only @ 1 1/2 hour drive to either coast depending on the wind direction.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 AM

Astro,

Although a bit of a sleepy town, Stuart is another good choice for kite and kids. You can stay on a kiteable beach at the Hutchinson Island Marriot (make sure to get a beach unit, they have a bunch of marina units as well) and there are few fun options for kids close by. There is a good children's museum (Children's Museum of the Treasure Coast), a great funky museum on the beach with tons of classic cars (Elliot Museum), a county run water park (Sailfish Splash), and the Florida Oceanographic Institute, which is fun for kids. If you are into it, the nuclear power plant has a cool information session for kids.

Stuart has a good local kite scene based at Stuart beach, across from the Elliot Museum, 1/4 mi north of the Marriot beach. You probably can hook up with a few locals for a downwinder or two. Stuart is also unique in being kiteable in west winds on the adjacent wide intracoastal waterway (Indian River), from the Stuart Causeway right adjacent to the Hutchinson Island Marriot.

Lots of good choices in FL