FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Id keep an eye out for seabreezes early this week. today there was a light seabreeze at mabye 12 knots but I got a good feeling about earlier this week through at least wedsday. no promises, just a prediction........
Today at PaG pretty much rocked. You were right, Sam... good call.
Chase and I spent quite a bit of time in the actual Pass. The current was RIPPING out, so going upwind was as easy as falling in.
We were surfing the waves where the water goes from deep to shallow. Pretty much no matter how much I went downwind with the waves, I was still going upwind. It was pretty sweet.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Tom Stock

rode bs on my sb, powered good time
Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 PM

Looks like you guys were getting it good down south with the seabreezes the last 2 days. It was pretty weak up north county.

With more north in the forecast tomorrow, I wonder if the wind will be more intense up this way tomorrow.

I noticed last spring early summer a similar pattern with better winds down south than up north on certain days. Anyone have any thoughts about why this occurs? Many a time we would start a downwinder at IRB on our biggest kites and boards and end up around TI or down at Pass-a-grille and be lit out of our minds with monster boards to boot.

My thoughts are the bay has something to do with it as well as a more westerly component.

However, my gut for tomorrow is the north is going to be the place to be to get the better wind. I guess we will wait and see.

If you guys down there get it again, that will be three solid ones in a row.

Nice call Sam.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Can't Re-member

LAST TWO OR THREE days have been completely solid seabreezes down here,
20 kts from 4 to 6 pm out of the west, up and then down pretty quick.

problem is you get out of work and home too late/

I think we'll get quite a few more.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Tom Stock

Seems to happen at either PAG or IRB, and occasionally both at the same time.

I am sure there is a formula. Scott will figure it out and write a 5 page dissertation after this post.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Skyway Scott

I gave out the formula a few years ago. I won't again.

I don't know the why's, (I only care about whats) I just know TI sucks for sea breezes and that in general the closer you get to PaG on a true sea breeze, the better.
TI is the worst, the worst!! When Tom first started to ride I would tell him that. He would never listen, get skunked at TI, and I would have been litt for hours at at PaG.

Today was the first good sea breeze of the whole season near PaG. Sort of unreal... they usually start in March and begin to die out right about now. Yesterday was only about 10 to 11 knots. Today was MUCH better.

Again, I don't know why, but there is zero doubt in my mind that strong outgoing tides affect the wind patterns and increase sea breezes in the PaG area. A fisherman first told me that about 15 years ago. I thought he was full of it. Not anymore. I have noticed in the last 5 years that nearly all strong sea breezes in that area have been associated with days having a strong outgoing tide. Today's tide was sick. http://www.capmel.com/tides.htm
That's not the whole formula, but an important variable. In other words, not all strong outgoing tides have sea breezes.
But about 90% of sea breezes coincided with a strong outgoing tide (near PaG).

Because the tide is 50 minutes later each day and tides weaken as we near a quarter moon, it's rare to get 4 solid seabreezes in a row.
It's very common to get 3, though.

It sounds bizarre and out of left field, but I believe it's true.
It's happened way to often over the years to be a random coincidence.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Tom Stock

outgoing tide == shallow water and more visible land to heat by sun == temperature differential between cooler water and warm water/land == large thermal updraft area == stronger draw to supply thermal updraft == seabreeze.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 PM

It was good until dark at TI. No crowds either. Nice...
Downwinder tomorrow afternoon from Clearwater?
(813) 389-3683
Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Default scott is wed a the third or fourth day

another words whats your guess...will PAG rock????
Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Skyway Scott

I would think so. It's better than 50/50. It will be better odds if it starts off with a NNE/NE/E/ENE component, not west, in the morning.

Al, thanks for that surfboard. I am really loving it. I rode it most of the day.