FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Was at EB this morning. Saw a 13.5m. About 9knots. It got up at first and then right before my eyes folded in half (center inward, tips up and outward) and came down straight down from 12oclock position.

I was about 10 yards offshore just flying 16m. I came in after he got it relaunched. Me and the other guy there noticed that it didn't have a center strut. Assumption ---> Would that make it prone to folding in half like that?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Was at EB this morning. Saw a 13.5m. About 9knots. It got up at first and then right before my eyes folded in half (center inward, tips up and outward) and came down straight down from 12oclock position.

I was about 10 yards offshore just flying 16m. I came in after he got it relaunched. Me and the other guy there noticed that it didn't have a center strut. Assumption ---> Would that make it prone to folding in half like that?
probably just severely underinflated (?)
i think any kite will "taco" or invert if underinflated

no center strut = less weight, less turbulence in the middle of the canopy, seems to work fine with these kites...plus packs smaller, faster to rig...

while in the OBX recently I watched a guy (probably 190#) using an 11.5 while I was on my 7.5 (25-30 kts). 11.5m Kite seemed very stable, but he was way too juiced IMO. Before I launched my 7.5 Kahoona I observed other great kites (Waroo's, Nemi's, SB's CB's, etc..) with 5-7 struts and higher aspect and "forward flyers" were noticeably less stable and harder to handle in the very gusty conditions. I was really surprised to see how stable and steadily powered the 7.5 Kahoona was...like it was just another normal day.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 09-19-2009, 03:51 PM

I wasn't saying that the 11.5 doesn't have good low end, it did seem to.
It just didn't feel as grunty. It definitely didn't jump as high or powerfully as the 13m in 17 knots of wind.

I was very impressed with the kite overall. Especially it's turning speed and low bar pressure. What went through my mind was that the kite seemed like it would be a great wave kite in 13 to 20 knots.
It drifted downwind very well and turned well when back lines were pretty slack. Also, bar pressure was so light, you could easily ride one handed with it. The kite folded in half. Awesome.
My guess is that was the wind Gods saying - "dude... get a clue.. this wind sucks, go home."
Pretty easy to do that with foils in sub 10 as well. Taco Hell baby.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 AM

I think I'm gonna have to give the Kahoona a try. I'm looking for a n easy flying, all around kite that maybe I can learn a few small jumps on. Sounds liek its a good transition kite. It'd be great to have one kite for the trip.
Speaking of my trip, I was reading Kiteboarding magazine(I believe 2 issues ago), and there was an article about a womenr's kitebaording trip to Aitutaki in the Cook Islands. My girlfriend and I have been searching for a great vacation spot, and she looked over my shoulder at the photos, and immediately wanted to go. I'll send a bunch of pictures back while we're there.