FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Tampa Bay Area Lost and Found
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Lost FLX42 UG at Picnic Island 9/28/06

Hey Guys,

I was riding at Picnic today and dropped my kite. I had to use the self-rescued technique since my lines got all messed up. I was able to get on shore but I never got to see my board again. If somebody finds it please PM. I'll compensate him/her well.

By the way it has a Realkitebording sticker and is purple color.

Erick
Old 09-28-2006, 07:57 PM

Erick,
When I received your call tonight that you lost your board I started thinking how can it be found and where would it go....I know that area well and decided to look at the tides....there will not be a strong tide for a couple of days and therefore, the board may remain drifting between Macdill AFB,St.Pete Pier and the Gandy Bridge. We should consider launching my boat and attempting a water recovery. It make take several hours with a chance of coming up empty handed but it may be worth a try. The tower gives you a great advantage for spotting fish, I assume the same would apply for a board.

Let me know if you want to give it a go but keep in mind....its a long shot.

Big G
Old 09-28-2006, 08:34 PM

Both Gary and Erick have had some bad luck lately. Gary is yours being warrantied? If not (and I will do so for Erick regardless), I will be the first to contribute to the cause of helping my two friends out and donate the first $100 toward buying new UG FLX's for them. If anyone else wants to help out, I am sure it will be greatly appreciated...
Old 09-29-2006, 06:57 AM

Good Morning and thank you Toby for asking. Yes, it has been a series of bad luck lately and unfortunately there is a price tag thats been attached. John and Steve at our local shop where I purchased the board did stand behind the broken Underground and honored the warranty without hesitation. I'll be sporting a HOT new FX152x44 with custom fluorescent yellow graphics and blue logo on bottom.

Eric has had a little more unfortunate luck than myself and since a collection is order to once again help a brother kiteboarder, he can count on me as well to contribute.

This community and forum is about helping others. In the past, a collection has helped reduced the cost of replacing a lost board and once again it is needed to help a fellow kiter. If you can help....please do...anything will help as we know these boards are expensive.

$150.00 has been collected so far....

Toby, thank you greatly for your generousness again and to anyone else who is able to help.

Big G
Old 09-29-2006, 08:31 AM

Guys, thanks a lot for your support I really don't know what to say. I was so disappointed last night after I got home but then I realized that I'm living the life of a kiteboarder in which there are many good days and some not so good. Kiteboarding has given not only numerous moments of great fun but most importantly the chance to get to meet really cool people. I do appreciate all of your words and offers. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that I belong to a great community of kiteboarders.

Gary I'm on it on regards lunching your boat. I know the chances are slim but you know I'm a "believer". The only thing is that I don't know how close we can get into MacDill Air Force territory. I'll give you a call tonight to discuss about it.

Toby, I have to say "brother" you are a true ambassador of the sport in so many ways. I highly appreciate your enthusiasm and generousness. Your noble gesture says a lot about who you are.

Danny F. thanks for helping to hold my kite while I was swimming back to the beach.

and thanks to all the kiteboarders in the bay area for making this community a great place to live.

Erick
Old 09-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Flaccid Member

I decided to take a morning walk down at picnic since I had the time and am close. I walked the whole area and around the tip. I talked to a wade fisherman who definitely saw the board this morning. It was too far out (9:00am) and the tide was going out, but he described it perfectly. I thought I saw it and had a kayaker go check it out, but no luck. There was a crabber in the area and I asked the fisherman to tell him there was a reward on the board and left my card with the Picnic Island attendant. I hope something comes of it. Sorry I did not find it....I really thought I did for a second...but it is (was) out there this morning!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the effort Wolfie,

Please keep me posted if you hear from that guy with that info. I'm definitely mounting a search and rescue operation.

Erick
Old 09-30-2006, 10:24 AM

That sucks Erick, I have nearly lost my board many times, but thanks to other kiters I have gotten it back everytime. If your board doesnt turn up, I got a crispy fifty towards the cause.
Guys like Big G,Wolfie, and Mr. Wilson will never let you miss a day of kiting, so quit your worrying. This sport is full of good hearted people.(I COULD USE A FEW NEW KITES IF ANYONE FEELING OVERLY GENEROUS TODAY!) just kidding.... Good luck on the search.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot for your generosity Steve,

I realize that kiteboarding is not like any other sport I've ever done in my life. What makes kiteboarding special is that community bond among all of us. This sport is not much about competitiveness but more about having a great time out there. I can't find the right words to express how grateful I am to be a part of it.

I’ve been touch by your responses. All of this is just a lesson of what kiteboarding is and the great community of kiteboarders we have here in the Tampa Bay area. I’m definitely sending this story to “The Kiteboarder” Magazine.

Once again thanks to all of you!

Erick
Old 09-30-2006, 02:00 PM

Amber and Tammy thanks a lot to both of you too. :lol: