FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 AM

Default Newbie Few ?s

Im an avid surfer and ever since I saw some kiters killing sand key during a cold front ive been amped about it. I have been wanting to get into kiteboardng for a long time(2+ years) and finally got some money and time and decided to give it a go. I Just finsished my lessons last week and got up, not for long but a start. Im not to confident launching on my own as in my water lesson we just did water launches and the trainer demonstrated land lauches. He had us launch him and land him also.

I plan on riding at fred howard/ sunset/ dunedin causway ect. I just have a few questions before going out on my own.

1. Is there anyone in the Port richey to Dunedin area looking for someone to ride with or just needs help launching and landing or would give some advice about the local spots? Im not to confident launching on my own as in my water lesson we just did water launches and the trainer demonstrated land lauches.

I am going to have my wife launch me if no kiters around but I was also thinking about getting a kite anchor for the days the wind is good and its just me, any other advice?

I showed my wife the basics as best as I could. Demonstrated where to hold the kite and launching and landing techs along with signals.

Any advice anyone can give me on launching I know I want to be on the outside of the wind window and launch so it kinda gots for 9 or 3 to 12 right and as its going up sheer out to take some fo the grunt. Also should i have my depower strap pulled allthe way down when launching?

2. My best kahooona and best bar have different rigging on the bar theres is 3 different knots under the handles and on the kite there is 2 knots to rig I believe. How should I rig this right? The bar is brand new so its where it is from factory should I jsut leave it?

3. Any tips you can give me for launching and landing?

4. I have worked on pulling my safetys as a precaution. I am using a 09 mystic firestarter. My leachs connects to the red strap correct? then to the metal loop on my chicken loop thing. Is thsi correct way to rig my leash?

5 If I let go of the bar it will completely depower correct?

6. Say I was scared to launch on the beach is there anyway I could get the kite into the water, and water launch away from from the beach? Could I get my wife to carry the ktie with me as I carry the lines as the water is not to deep or is this a terrible idea? Or is there a way I could do it by myself and water launch only.

7. Any tips and precaution you guys could give me now that I am done with lessons on how to be safe and learn to kiteboard.

8. My Redline bar came with 3m line extentsions. Should I put these on? If not when is the right time to use them.

9 The best wind chart says my kite can go from 12 to 23 knots. What is the max MPH as a new kiteboarder that I should Practice in? Also I see somedays are 17 MPH bust gusting to 30. Should days like this be avoided?

I am just a little nervous taking the kite out on my own now. I feel I can pretty much handle it but I do have the first time jitters. I dont wanna be the guy dragged down the beach and the kite I learned on was yanking me around for a good bit but later in the day I got pretty confident and made alot less errors.

I know not to keep it at 12 as I have read about lofting and I also have a problem with the kite going behind me and falling out of the sky. should i keep it at like 12:30 or 11:30 or where is the best place to keep the kite.

At this point I dont know anyone who kite surfs so I think im really just gonna get a kite anchor and try to put alot of kite time in.

Right now my gear list is

2010 Kahoona V2 11.5
2010 Best Redline bar
09 Mystic Firestarter
2011 Liquid Force Edge 146 X 45cm

I know I asked alot of questions and i have been reading stuff about kiteboarding non stop and watching alot of videos. Any help would be appreciated as I dont wanna be that guy. I really wanna get out on the water and learn with my main goal of being able to kite with a surfboard.

I appreciate any help thank you.