FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Olaf_Rostock

Wink Giraffe on water - coming up in Florida!

In the next three weeks a Giraffe can be seen kitesurfing - watch out for a 6ft11 tall German visiting Florida

Our season here along the Baltic coast of Germany started and I am looking forward to test your waters. We start in Miami, then go up to Orlando - three days hard work (...) - before we go to the Keys.

Hope to see some of you there.

Best, Olaf

Last edited by Olaf_Rostock; 04-11-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome to Florida Olaf, hope you get some great sessions in! It is usually a bit lighter than a strong front moving through the Baltic but warmer. Wow, almost 7 ft., I'll be on the lookout. Have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Olaf_Rostock

Default Hotel Miami

For all those looking for a hotel in Miami, we stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza Dezerland Beach & Spa, 8701 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33154 (Surfside). There is a launch right in front of the Hotel (87 Street). In good conditions no-one was there today, so I went to 27th Street where I met a couple of people. On 2nd Street only few people were on the water.

Olaf

Last edited by Olaf_Rostock; 04-14-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: a mistake
Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Get out tonight Olaf? Really started to get good a bit north in Palm Beach county after 6 pm. Looks like the wind is filling in tonight, should be some tomorrow too. Have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Olaf_Rostock

I am in Orlando until tommorrow (doing some work to earn the trip). We have not yet decided what to do then but the forecast looks good for the east coast. We have one week before we need to reach the Keys where we booked accommodation in advance. I went to Cocoa beach but there was unfortunately no wind. Miami was quite nice but I would not mind visiting a couple more places further north of Miami. I printed lots of the stuff from this forum, which provides fantastic help for visitors. (I am writing a report for the equivalent forum like this one in Germany to help others planning their kitesurfing trip to Florida.) Olaf
Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Default Giraffe

Good luck in the Keys, Olaf. If you get to Key West, look up head Smathers Zoo Keeper, Greg of Kiteboarding the Keys, or Paul Menta of TheKiteHouse. The forecast, ala ikitesurf.com is poor for this weekend, but Florida weather has been known to change rapidly. We'll keep an eye out for you. At 6'11", shouldn't be hard to miss. At any rate, if the wind doesn't cooperate, there is plenty to occupy your time in KW. Make sure you stop in at Paul's restaurant, The Grande Cafe on Duval Street. Eric at the bar is also a local kiteboarder. Great food, great drinks, great people watching.

Oops, didn't see the date on your post. Hope you had a good time.