FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Best Air Compressor for Filling Kites?

Looking to get one for the school, heard theres ones that fill kites to exact PSI and shut off. Looking for one easily portable, chargable, and capable of filling many kites in one charge, anyone got ideas?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonKiteboarding View Post
Looking to get one for the school, heard theres ones that fill kites to exact PSI and shut off. Looking for one easily portable, chargable, and capable of filling many kites in one charge, anyone got ideas?
You are looking for an electric compressor correct? You want one that chokes down the output pressure fairly low. Most utility compressors have regulators that deliver pressure at around 100 psi which is much higher than you want. I would think you would want something that could go down to 5 or 6 psi for some kites on the regulator. I would talk to Paul or Mike with The Kitehouse to see what they use on the boats. Ty Luckett has one on his boat as well, hatteraskiteboarding.com. Neil at nhkusa@aol.com has an electric one at Tiki Beach as well.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 PM

Has any one had any experience using scuba tanks? a standard tank holds 80 cubic feet (some go up to 100-120 cf). while they are pressurized to 3000 psi, the first stage regulator drops it to 125 psi (equivalent to compressor). I recently picked up a nozzle for $10 at a dive shop that attaches to a low pressure line from the first stage (that's the one that plugs into the BC or the 2nd stage regulator. Have not tried it yet, but seems like it should work as long as your careful not to over inflate. I would'nt mind dropping the pressure down though, Does anybody know if there is a regulator to drop it down to maybe 7-9 psi?

I was also thinking about a pony bottle, maybe 30-40 cf? was wondering if that would fill a kite 2-3 times? any thoughts?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb View Post
Has any one had any experience using scuba tanks? a standard tank holds 80 cubic feet (some go up to 100-120 cf). while they are pressurized to 3000 psi, the first stage regulator drops it to 125 psi (equivalent to compressor). I recently picked up a nozzle for $10 at a dive shop that attaches to a low pressure line from the first stage (that's the one that plugs into the BC or the 2nd stage regulator. Have not tried it yet, but seems like it should work as long as your careful not to over inflate. I would'nt mind dropping the pressure down though, Does anybody know if there is a regulator to drop it down to maybe 7-9 psi?

I was also thinking about a pony bottle, maybe 30-40 cf? was wondering if that would fill a kite 2-3 times? any thoughts?
I think Paul Menta used dive tanks at one time. As I recall, he had to change out tanks fairly frequently. You can use the rubber tipped flexible nozzles off a second stage hose on a diving regular. Still, be careful. I can recall guys destroying inflatable objects over the years by accidentally pmping things up too much. It is easy to do and your leading edge stitching can be trashed fairly subtly in this way as well. When you get down to it, our hand pumps provide a number of advantages that can be lost with using some powered inflators. Choose well!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:43 AM

you are better of using something else other then compressed air...like co2 b\c it can be compressed a lot more... not sure what the ideal gas is tho...
Old 02-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Looking to get one for the school, heard theres ones that fill kites to exact PSI and shut off.
Found this on the NET:

NSI Super Turbo Blow This new Italian Job pump can inflate up to 12 PSI and has a rechargeable battery with a 20 minute life span.* When out of juice, plug it into a car cigarette lighter or a wall plug for a quick re-charge. Comes with heavy duty inflation tube, multiple couplings for common valves and carrying case.

Item Code: STB Super Turbo Blow MSR $189.00
* This pump is designed to inflate no more than 2-3 average sized 12M kites. If inflating more than 3 kites of this size (or bigger kites) the pump will have to sit for at least 40 minutes before continuing use. You should never run the pump for more than 20 minutes. Overuse will damage the pump and void the warranty.

Quote:
Looking for one easily portable, chargable, and capable of filling many kites in one charge, anyone got ideas?
You can pick this pump up @ Wal-Mart for $26.99 (thats what they were last year), do a little mod to an existing pump hose and your good to go. I used to use one of these pumps to inflate my 16m X4 LE. I'm telling you it paid for it's self after the first use. You have to finish off the kite with your hand pump. But we've filled (4) 14-16m LE's with No problem in one day.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:57 PM

I'm thinking about using this little helium bottle that came with a party balloon kit I got for my kid's birthday party ... if I can refill it safely.

I still use a the standard manual pump. One benefit: how many people warm up before kiting? Pumping up your kite definitely gets your heart pumping and a lot of the muscles warmed up as well. Just a thought.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:21 PM

And the helium will give the kite extra lift in light winds. Seriously, I use a rechargeable electric air pump made by Sports Air. I don't know if they make it anymore. It is a little bit smaller than the other pump pictured (I saw one in use and it pumped the kite up pretty firm). I still have to use the hand pump to get the bladders firm. I only use it for my larger kites 19.5m & 21.5m.

Regarding warming up (and stretching), definitely in colder weather. It helps prevent muscle cramps and spasms. Especially for us old guys.

Cheers,
Jake