FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Kiting in Marco Island?

I'm heading to Marco Island this Wed through Sunday for work. Anyone have any local riding info that you can provide, that would be great. Just want to make sure I don't kite somewhere I am not supposed to kite, and also would like to know where the best spots are.
thanks,
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Some info about Tigertail and restrictions appears at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2357

Latino has still more information about SW Florida riding at:

http://www.swfloridakiteboarding.com/

Last edited by ricki; 10-27-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

New information about Marco Island/Tigertail Park from:

I have a lot of photos from this event to process and put up. Here are a few for starters.

A shot from an early morning, chilly session today during the Naples Kiteboarding Reunion at Tigertail Park off Marco Island. I understand the sand bar has substantially grown northward into Big Marco Pass over the last 30 years.

A screen capture of a pair of dolphins that swam by during my kiting session at Tigertail Park on Thursday morning.

A short video clip of the encounter

I encountered two bald eagles at Tigertail Park yesterday while kiting at the Naples Kiteboarding Reunion. I have seen very few of these birds in SE Florida. I caught this one framed by the kite in the lower center.

The water was deep enough for navigation of small boats around low tide in spots at the north end of the sand bar. The camp sites of the Reunion participants.

It is a long walk in depend on whether you stay on the land the whole way (2.7 miles) or are able to cut a mile off by walking across the lagoon from the parking lot at low tide. Given that this site works best in strong cold fronts, it can be a very cold area too. The air temp. was 50 to 60 F while I was there and I froze my butt off with a 5/4 and heat seeker plus a fleece overcoat while on land. We all were pretty cold. Taking a boat in is best.

I would talk to Naples Kiteboarding about boating in there or lessons, they hold the kite instruction concession for the park at:

http://www.naplesfloridakiteboarding.com

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

New information about Marco Island/Tigertail Park from: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=12031

I have a lot of photos from this event to process and put up. Here are a few for starters.

A shot from an early morning, chilly session today during the Naples Kiteboarding Reunion at Tigertail Park off Marco Island. I understand the sand bar has substantially grown northward into Big Marco Pass over the last 30 years.

A screen capture of a pair of dolphins that swam by during my kiting session at Tigertail Park on Thursday morning.

A short video clip of the encounter

I encountered two bald eagles at Tigertail Park yesterday while kiting at the Naples Kiteboarding Reunion. I have seen very few of these birds in SE Florida. I caught this one framed by the kite in the lower center.

The water was deep enough for navigation of small boats around low tide in spots at the north end of the sand bar. The camp sites of the Reunion participants.

It is a long walk in depend on whether you stay on the land the whole way (2.7 miles) or are able to cut a mile off by walking across the lagoon from the parking lot at low tide. Given that this site works best in strong cold fronts, it can be a very cold area too. The air temp. was 50 to 60 F while I was there and I froze my butt off with a 5/4 and heat seeker plus a fleece overcoat while on land. We all were pretty cold. Taking a boat in is best.

I would talk to Naples Kiteboarding about boating in there or lessons, they hold the kite instruction concession for the park at:

http://www.naplesfloridakiteboarding.com

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

West winds are starting again and threats to our access to kiting this unique place may well start again. It is up to us whether we keep access by our behavior. Lots of us travel to kite, east coast, west coast, Keys, we need to show respect and use common sense to preserve our ability to kite wherever we may be.

If guys keep breaking rules here we may lose access, so heads up. There are volunteers in the trees photographing people who violate the rules and turn them into authorities. It has happened before.

* Stay out of the out of bounds lagoon and at least 100 yards from marked off areas and large concentrations of birds.

* Avoid flushing concentrations birds, wherever you may be, in Florida.

* Don't bring dogs on to Sand Dollar Island (the sand bar). It is against the law anyway and puts needless pressure on our ability to kite here.

It is easy to do all of this but it is a good walk, worth it in my opinion however. There are strong bird supporters at the State, County and City levels here so don't give them reason to remove our access. Please work to preserve our access to this unique spot.

The northern ending point of that red area will vary year to year based on where the birds roost and winter. You should see signs and roped off areas on Sand Dollar Island. Stay at least 100 yards north of those out of bounds areas.

Thank you!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Despite all the efforts to get the word out, it sounds like a bunch of people were riding in the red out of bounds area over the weekend.

This has to stop or we will simply be kicked out of this location. If you have ever been there you know how unique and special a place it is. It is worth working hard to preserve access here, so please help.

It is a LONG walk north to the riding area, about 3 miles roundtrip. If you aren't up to that then please kite somewhere more convenient for yourself where you want trash our access. I understand there is now a large sign just north of the entrance area on to the sand bar (Sand Dollar Island) summarizing the rules.

Please study this photo, we need to stay at least 100 yards north of the red area AND signs, ropes (which may be moved as the season progresses).

Talk about this with your friends. It would be a crime to lose access to this spot through indifference. Also, you don't want to be with the guys responsible for shutting down a kiting area. Please help and thanks.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

West winds are in the forecast. Westerly wind in South Florida often brings guys to the southwest coast. Please work to
keep us flying there as the FWC, City, County, Birders, some misc. non-kiting businesses have been bringing pressure to
bear on our access, WITH our help. It would be a crime for any kiter riding in the out of bounds area to cost our access
to this unique spot. Guys have been photographed in secret in the past and more than once. Things are to that point
here, so please keep it sane and open here.

If you want to ride here you need to WALK 3 1/2 to 4+ MILES R/T, look at the photo. If you aren't up to it, don't trash the
kiting community's access go some place else or take a boat in. I'm almost 60, did an even longer walk in than that, in
total darkness well before dawn for the first time solo in freezing conditions. Don't wimp out in short. Focus on having fun,
not on destroying our ability to ride a remarkable spot.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi