FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-01-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Siesta Key Incident

I was riding today back and forth at Siesta Key from access 12 all the way down to access 5 (nice SW)

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who reported what happened so I will keep it simple

The beach, like most, was real crowded and an older asian kiter (late 40s?) who my buddy said his name is pronounced "key" launched his kite and hit two people on their beach chairs.

I was a couple hundred yards off-shore and did not see it and my buddy did not get a chance to say anything to "key"

Apparently "key" is local so if anyone knows him maybe you could call him up and tell him how unacceptable this is

I am not trying to be a dick but I kite Siesta just about every day and do not want to lose my privileges cuz someone is taking out tourists

Thanks

OS
Old 04-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Wow

Hey Old School,
This sounds like the same guy who mowed me down at the Sky Way about six weeks ago. I was walking my kite in from the sand bar. I was about 20 yards from shore. This "Key" guy was about 30 feet upwind of me, he looks directly at me and then launches!! He came screaming into my board. I of course verbalized in a kind manner " You dumb F***"!! No apology, nothing!
I then saw him a few weeks later and discussed the incident. No remorse, just arrogance or was that ignorance. Sounds like wisdom doesn`t come with age.
Hope he does not injure someone. Sounds like another close call on Siesta Key.
But if you see him on the beach, walk far far away.Oh ya make sure you are upwind!!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Skyway Scott

I know who you guys are talking about. He has a black lab.

It's unfortunate that such incidents ever happen. If they do and the rider doesn't say sorry to involved bystanders, I recommend just apologizing for them. That way, at least we don't all look like we don't care. A similar incident happened at EB yesterday with a kite crashing into a Lexus. The rider said zip after the kite hit and wrapped over the Lexus. Donna ended up apologizing for the person.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 04-02-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 PM
invisible

Last year Colin and I met up with some guywho was at T.I. He had a sign on his car that said "Kite ski lessons" (I think it was an orange thing like ebone drives). We walked over to find him dragging a student around attached by a rope to his harness with a caribiner. yes thats right, he was diving the kite and "ski'ing" on his bare feet in the sand, with a student tied to his harness dragging along behind him completely out of control.

Then, he connected the student to the kite (again with a seat belt or rope harness and a caribiner) and then attached himself to the student with a 4 foot strap. As the student got lofted and dragged by the kite he "held the student" down with the strap. I can't even begin to go into how stupid this was and how incredible it was that neither student was injured.

He also had all sorts of ridiculous strokery attached to his body. Cameras, compasses, I dont even know what some of it was. He was a walking techofool. Anway, that was pretty bad.

I guess there is a spectrum of behavior, from not apologizin' to outright jeopardizin'! Wooohoooooo!

Last edited by invisible; 04-03-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 AM
E-Bone

I've met the guy invisible is talking about. He is on a weird trip, thinks he is a kiteboarding instructor and holds himself out as one and I don't think he can even kite. I mean, I don't think he can even kite like a newbie. I don't think he can even fly a damn kite.

His most dangerous moment ever was related to my epic 2006 kitemare when I got hammered by that 9m Waroo. He saw the kitemare, then while I was packing my gear so I could go home to lick my wounds, he walked over and suggested to my wife that maybe I needed to take a kiting lesson from him.

Luckily, I didn't overhear this suggestion (my wife mentioned it after we got home, she already knew he is a jackass), otherwise I would have gone postal.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 AM

What are you guys talking about? Key is a good friend and a great kitesurfer!!! I hear he is getting sponsored by one of the bigger kitekook companies! Just goofing off, I was hoping someone would read the beginning of my post and start to take it seriously. I guess we should all just keep an eye out for Key and stay clear. Props to Donna for apologizing for kookiness that she wasn't even responsible for...
Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 PM

Hey...i'm surprised this guy is still alive. I "know" exactly who it is, but at the same time i don't. Several of my buddies "Know" him as well. He must changed his life story every week....

So here is what he told me..."his name is alex; he works for the discovery channel and lives on his sailboat; he claimed to be hawaiian; he (at the time of June 2006" was planning to sail to mexico for a kiteboarding competition; he claims he is a pro kiteboarder sponsored by slingshot.

My friend, who owns a shop in the area met him as well. However, this time he was Glenn and worked for National Geographic and lived nearby and drove an orange honda element.

I stay on siesta key every summer for 2 weeks at the end of June and i encountered this guy everyday there was wind over 8 knots. He would body drag downwind about 5 times a day and would walk back up the beach with his kite attached to a caribeener on his decked out harness; occasionally dragging people behind in the water; he to told me these people were paying him for the dragging and for lessons; The weather this time of year is obviously in the 90s with water near the 90s as well. But he was always wearing a wetsuit.

I have some video of this guy that I'll load up on youtube to prove who it is. Lets get this guy out of here, i really enjoy my two stay in siesta key and I don't want to lose what kiting I can do within that period.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:00 PM
invisible

yeah that sounds like him! This guy told me he was travelling the world for a pro kite surfing competition and that he was here for that competition. I said "what competition?? I haven't heard of anything" and he just sort of stumbled over his words at that point.

it was obvious watching this guy that he didn't know ANYTHING except how to keep the kite in the air (and barely). His gear was all non-kiting equipment... like his harness was some climbing harness or something.

Please please upload video. man I would get a good laugh out of it.

I may actually have some pictures of this guy. I'll look for them.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:36 PM

This guys sounds outta line. Good job for apologizing on his behalf, but it isnt enough just to "stay away" from him. You guys should confront him. Courteous at first, then if that doesnt work cut his damn lines!
I was in Palm beach couple weeks ago and had to tell some lady, nicely NOT to teach her boyfriend how to body drag 2 ft into the water, swooping his kite 5 ft from unsuspecting tourists heads! She copped an attitude like she was superior or something. If she would have kept it up I would have threatened her with the "kook stopper"= scissors to her lines.

Anybody ever have to threaten violence, or have to actually get violent? Heard of anyone doing this?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Skyway Scott

We are talking about two different people. Key is just a tad discourteous at times. This other guy with the changing name is a real problem. Upload the video, I bet it blows most people's minds.
I saw some stuff (that guy) with BigAirAl one day at NB that was just whack. (I know it might be bad), but no one else was around so we just watched in amazement, waiting for the guy to get injured doing his shinanagins. We were amazed he didn't actually end up in a tree.

In terms of threats, I definitely think most situations can and should be talked out, but about 4 years ago I lost it on a guy who was being a total dumba.## right in front of our most crowded beach hotel about this time of year and wouldn't leave. He was literally repeatedly crashing his kite right on the shoreline and people were, again literally, running out of the way. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone and got the beach police or someone with similar authority.