FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Kite up?

I would like to have a collective opinion on this subject, I have my own. However, very occasionally for me, is still a dilemma. If you’d been riding for a while, I’m sure you’ve been asked by an unknown rider to assist him/her launching a kite. All of us agree to do it at least the first time. However, from my experience since I’ve been a kiteboarder, amazingly over a year now, I’ve noticed that sometimes when assisting another rider, the kite is not at the edge of the wind window or the rider is not positioned at the correct angle for a successful launch. I know that I’m there just to assist that specific rider launch the kite, so usually, I follow his instructions since is his life and equipment at stake so when the rider gives me the thumbs up I just take my hands out and the kite and most of the times go up. When I assist launching riders that I know or I’ve seen riding then I feel more comfortable with the whole launching process but when is a rider that I don’t know ask me to, then that’s when the dilemma sometimes arises. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that I'm not willing to assist unknown riders!!!

So the question is, what do you do when an unknown rider ask you and he is not positioned correctly?

Do you provide some instructions to the rider?? but what if something goes wrong? or do you just follow his/her instructions??

Sorry, I just realized that I should have posted this on the "What's going on?" section

Last edited by Erick; 05-21-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
E-Bone

You are not under any obligation to launch anyone. If someone I do not know asks me for a launch and I have any doubts, I ask him if he is comfortable with the kite before I even pick up the kite.

A newby tends to confess his or her limitations at that point, which is good opportunity to advise of hazards at the spot and make sure you want to launch the kite. If you don't feel comfortable launching a kite at that point, don't even pick it up off of the ground. Call for backup from some other local riders if you think the requesting rider should not launch. I've done this often, particularly at the Backside.

When conditions are strong or unstable, this becomes even more critical. I remember a day at Backside where a man and his teenage daughter were trying to launch an old, 16m C kite they had bought off of eBay. It was strong that day, maybe solid 25 mph. These two admitted that they had never even flown a kite before, not even a trainer! We refused to launch them and talked to them until they agreed to stop their own efforts to launch.

Before any kiter shows up at a kite spot, here or anywhere else, and asks someone other than his or own instructor for a launch (or tries to self-launch), that kiter needs to have it together enough to launch and land without incident, every time. It is not rude to ask a kiter you don't know to provide more info about his or her skill level. There is minimal room for error at many of our launch spots and many new or visiting riders don't understand the risks at those spots, especially those risks associated with launching and landing. New and visiting riders often don't understand that we built up our skillz at much more open and less crowded areas before charging the Skyway, for example.

Indeed, your refusing to lauch someone may be doing that person a huge favor. Trust your instincts, be sincere, and you will be fine.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:08 PM

well said E-bone. I personally would just tell them straight up, in the nicest way possible of course, that they need to reposition themself for a safe launch and if they don't I just wouldn't help them.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:50 PM

If I am asked to help launch, I will usually wait at the leading edge of the kite while the rider first hooks in and then checks that the lines are all straight before even lifting his or her kite. There is no reason to have a kite lifted into the air if the rider is not ready. You can usually determine if there is going to be a problem at this point. This prevents you from having to put the kite back on the ground while the riders tries to figure out what the problem is….its also not a bad time to assist in getting the lines correct with them and ask a few questions to ensure your not going to be launching someone that may lead to a problem. After the rider is ready, I will then lift the kite yet just a foot or so from the ground and then wait for the rider to begin moving to the proper position from the right or to the left. If you raise the kite to its “C”, launching position before the rider is in position, you risk getting knocked around by his limp lines or struggling with the kite as it wants to fall down-wind which is what I think you are concerned about.

If once the lines are straight, the rider does not move into the proper position to take some of the strain of the kite off of me the launcher, I then gesture in the direction I want him go as I walk the opposite direction to create the proper angle. Some people simply need help getting into the correct angle before launching and many times is easer for the guy holding the kite to determine the best angle. Probably because the holder is the person that can tell when the kite pressure is neutral and at the edge of the window. One things for sure, If I’m holding your kite, and I don’t feel your in a safe angle for me to let go, I’m not going to let go no matter how many thumbs up or signals you give me. It’s a delicate balance and an unwritten trust factor that goes with launching a kite safely.

Hope this may help and good luck. By the way, you’ve always done a great job of launching my kite when asked Eric... No complaints here.

Big G
"That my $0.02 for what its worth.."
Old 05-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
By the way, you’ve always done a great job of launching my kite when asked Eric... No complaints here.

Big G
"That my $0.02 for what its worth.."
Same goes for me right Gary???
Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Someone told me your a better tent pitcher than a kite launcher....Doooeeee!!! ;~)
Old 05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Skyway Scott

No speekie day Engli'.

That works too.