FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Tips for Jumping

I got in to kiting about a month and a half ago and I'm hooked. I just had my third set on Sunday afternoon and finally nailed down going upwind 100% (on the board AND bodydragging) and because of that, I was comfortable for the first time trying small jumps. I only had a few good ones and the others I would tend to roll a bit and fall on my back.

Any tips at all for learning how to jump and stay facing the right direction? Also, what about jumps combined with turns/jibes? I had much less trouble jumping and then continuing in the same direction, but had problems when trying to combine the jump with a turn. Is this actually more difficult or just kind of in my head?

Thanks!
-Charlie
Old 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Default Keep at it!

It will come with trial and error. Just picture yourself as a pendulum. Send the kite the opposite direction, keeping your head up, get air, then bring the kite back where you started and repeat, rinse, and dry.

Watch some videos man.

Keep it real!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 PM

Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the help

Usually I'd look up videos but I'm in the middle of moving and have no home internet. Don't think the boss would look kindly on me watching videos all day long. I get the jump part, but I just tend to roll (backside spin) whenever I get any decent lift. I guess I'll just figure it out
Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 AM

That back roll can be the result of you looking up at your kite while you jump. Once you leave the water direct your eyes and head towards your landing spot down wind of you. Put your board out in front of you while you are looking at that spot and I'll bet you do better. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Alot of the time your body goes where your head goes. As Craig said, spot your landing and don't forget to dive the kite back in the direction you are going in order to keep your momentum.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 AM

What I see a lot of people doing is sending the kite from too low, cranking it too far back, and swinging (pendulum) up under the kite. (10:00-2:00-10:00)
Try this:
With medium speed, ease kite from 9 or 10 closer to 11:00 and get ready. Send the kite ONLY to 12:30, and spring off your back foot with a quick snap (carve) away from the kite (upwind) to get a clean release and load tension on the lines. Sheet in and bring the board up (pull your knees towards your chest) to grab with your back hand, which will stabilize you in the air and force you to redirect the kite forward again. The front hand should be adjusted according to the speed of the kite to redirect properly.
High wind/ fast kite= hand in close
light wind/ slow kite= move hand out
To review:
11:00>send>snap away>sheet in>knees up>grab.

The landing is all in the front hand- If you're dropping like a rock, scoot your hand out 2 inches and try again. If you're landing hot, scoot your hand to the middle.
You can ease your landings with the board pointing slightly towards the kite, but immediately start carving back upwind once you get your edge back.

Don't worry about going big, just get the technique and timing dialed. Once you get the rhythm, one footers and board offs aren't too far away.
Hope that helps.
Gnarr- Not sure who you are, but find me at SW or EB and I can loan you the radio helmet and talk you through it if you want. (headed to SW now)
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
Old 02-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I think I got it figured out for the most part. Still a little squirrely but getting better with the tips I got.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Now that you have the basics down check this out.

http://www.funsporting.de/funsportin...s+Addikt_2.htm

Click on the HD in the bottom right for great full screen video. Mad skills at 4:55
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Finnian03

next step... land jumping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGyglJB2q0