FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default XRated Xtreme Downwinder - REQUESTS

This thread is for folks seeking information, help in car pooling, pickup, delivery, etc..

I have a request. I have to go to my company party Saturday night and will miss out on the festivities at the Trove. Would someone please shoot digital images of the party action and provide me with a CD for the writeups?

Regarding cellphones, I have noticed the quantity of payphones along A1A has gone way down in recent times. Carrying your own phone makes sense. During the pre-race I believe we had three kiters with disabled gear at one time or another, very good riders too. It would be good to carry your own communications. I found some Coleman dry bags, a set of three with velcro seals (like on camelpaks) for about $5.00 at Sports Authority. I would recommend using ALL three bags to seal your phone up or a good cellphone waterproof pouch. Last time one of the two bags leaked! Neil's suggestion about carrying $50. in cash would be a good idea.

Carrying a hydration pack and some power bars would be a good idea too. Running low on fluids and sugar in an extended run in heavy seas and perhaps winds too will only erode your stamina and effectiveness.

Note: nearshore there are varying hazards along the run between exposed rock bottom, boulders, concrete groins and concrete armoured revetments over the shore. You don't want to hit this stuff at speed. Also there are some cables nearshore and the surface in some areas like around Briny Breezes. Have a care and try to stay away from the shore PARTICULARLY in guarded areas. It also sounds like we are going to have some major waves so I would take pains to try to avoid getting rolled in breaking waves, turning into a wave powered human kite line sushi roll, you get the idea.

Should be interesting!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-06-2006, 10:25 PM

I have played around with carrying a cellphone. I tried one of the dry bags with velcro (the one I had was from body glove) in my own expereince it did'nt work. For real "protection" put your phone in a condom and tie a knot in it. With the exception of a flip phone, you can still use the phone inside the condom. I did find the "Aqua Pack" bag is trully water proof. You can buy those at "Boaters World". They also have ones for camcorders and cameras. They don't sell them at "West Marine" or "sports authority".
Old 12-07-2006, 08:22 AM

HAHAHHAH AWESOME! Rememeber only you can practice safe phone usage, use a condom!

[img]
Old 12-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb
I have played around with carrying a cellphone. I tried one of the dry bags with velcro (the one I had was from body glove) in my own expereince it did'nt work. For real "protection" put your phone in a condom and tie a knot in it. With the exception of a flip phone, you can still use the phone inside the condom. I did find the "Aqua Pack" bag is trully water proof. You can buy those at "Boaters World". They also have ones for camcorders and cameras. They don't sell them at "West Marine" or "sports authority".
I wouldn't use just one velcro bag, I would use all three. One will likely leak from what I have seen. I would be very careful in folding and sealing the bag. I tried to find one at West Marine before the pre-race but they were just of the simple, leakable velcro variety. Maybe they were out of stock on the better more reliable sealing types. The condom idea is intriguing, may have to give it a try.

AND

The forecast is looking kind of intense. Winds up to 30 kts. the night before (i.e. huge surf buildup) followed by NE 20 to 25 kts. during the race. The forecast may well shift some more in the time remaining. Think over those gear selections. Should be interesting.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM

who wants to ride with pulley bar and bindings?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 PM

hi i am partisipating in the race saterday and my wife is not familiar with the east coast and i will appreciate if someone would wait for my wife and kids so they could follow you to tikki beach, fort lauderdale.
iko instructor #3301
Naples kite boarding lessons , gear , kite trip , rentals
http://www.naplespaddleboardingrentals.com/
Naples paddleboard rentals-kayak tours -summer camp -meet up -news
http://www.naplespaddleboard.com/

naples,marcos island,bonita beach,san carlo, fort myers
Store 953 3rd ave north naples Florida
239-601-2700
Old 12-07-2006, 08:16 PM

I have used the Velcro Bag with the phone in the condom on a few occasions. Maybe the velcro bags work for a quick dunk, but if your in the water for more than a couple minutes chasing a board your probably going to have a bag full of water. The condom will keep the phone dry. If it's the right style phone, and your dripping wet with sand all over you, don't even take it out of the condom, you can still use the phone.

Although as mentioned, I now use the Aqua Pack, and don't usually bother with the condom...unless I don't know where the phones been.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino
hi i am partisipating in the race saterday and my wife is not familiar with the east coast and i will appreciate if someone would wait for my wife and kids so they could follow you to tikki beach, fort lauderdale.
Hey Enrique,

My wife should be dropping me off but may delay in the Jupiter area for a while. I suspect that there should be a number of folks leaving around the time of the start and heading south. You should have no trouble hooking her up with some folks familiar with local roads heading south.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-07-2006, 10:46 PM

uhh gusts to gale force in the forecast now looks to be windy and winder as time draws near
Old 12-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIan
uhh gusts to gale force in the forecast now looks to be windy and winder as time draws near
Yes, seems like it might even be a replay of last time. Heavy winds and waves on the way. Challenging conditions for a race or even a casual session.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi