FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 PM

Default Key Kite Challenge Anyone???

Trying to put together a team from Tampa Bay to compete in the 85 mile keys kite challenge. Sponsor: Watersports West

I can and will provide a chase boat that I feel is perfect for the job.
---17 foot center console proline, 115hp, fresh motor, recent service
---GPS
---BOAT US Membership
---extra gas containers
I can trailer the boat down and also provide a chase vehicle on land.

I can see the team consisting of:

1 experienced boat captain (captains liscence not required, however)
---familiar with the keys environment (boating wise and navigation)
---experience launching and landing kites from a boat, deep and shallow water.
---provide support to the riders on the water

2 drivers that would provide support on land, follow the team down and help bring the team back up to the starting point. (I can provide 1 vehicle)
----return trip doesn't have to be immediately (maybe stay in Key West for the night and ride the next day, then return to starting point.) Go home from there. (maybe one of the drivers can be a media type....Amber?????)

4 riders that would be up for an experience of a lifetime
---one of the riders would need to take the roll as team captain

Expenses would include gas for boat, rooms, and supplies during the race. I would hope that the team would share in the expense and work together on the budget. I don't see expenses being split evenly across the board.

So who is interested in this? I have already approached the team riders of Watersports West and have had some verbal commitments, but I know how life goes. I am looking for folks who want to represent the Tampa Bay area and make something like this a reality.

Obviously, I am in as a rider, but would like not to go it alone nor can I. I do not plan to do this for speed but just for the experience. I do plan to take breaks along the way using the boat support.

If this sounds interesting to you then check out www.keyskitechallenge.com for all the details and PM with your intent of interest. Registration is open for this event and the team will need to be formed quickly in order to make appropriate plans.

Thanks for your consideration.
Steve-O

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-12-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 PM

I believe the start and endpoint is clear, however, the course they take is up the the team and a big part of the stadegy sp? of this race. Yes a tremendous amount of planning would be involved in this no dought.

I think a bit more leadership is needed from the race organizers regarding logistics of the race. Kent has already posed some interesting questions.

I think once a team is formed, we explore this race as a team and decide as a team if it something we want to do.

I am simply open to the idea of this being a reality. I think it will be a huge undertaking however. I don't have all the answers, hence the post.

(this was a response to a post by Skyway Scott) but it disappeared.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Default Update 3/12

Update 3/12

Ok so here are some obstacles with this race. In priority order:

1. Captain that knows the waters of the keys and knows kites.
--solution....not sure. That's why it's the number one problem.
2. Support team on land.
--still need some volunteers
3. Getting rooms in the peak season in the keys on such short notice
--is race organizer planning for this

We have a boat that can allow the riding team to be no more than 6 riders. 21 foot Catamaran/Power with flat deck for launching and landing. (Thanks Henry)

So far I have 2 riders seriously interested and 2 riders if the cost isn't too high. So far I have no support system in place yet.

I figure with this race right around the corner, a team will need to be in place by this weekend in order to make the necessary plans for this to work.

PM if you have any questions or interest to help.

Thanks again for your consideration,
Steve-O

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-12-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 PM

Update 3/17

Things are going nicely.

We have a team of four and room for 2 more.

Boat secured.

Boat driver situation is still to be worked out, but Brad from Seven sports said he was going to post a list soon of eligible captains for hire that would fit the bill. He recommended we should still try to secure our own. We have a few leads, but still need this worked out.

Housing issue resolved as there is a local campground owned and operated by Seven Sports. Bingo.

So we are almost there and then the real planning begins.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
I believe the start and endpoint is clear, however, the course they take is up the the team and a big part of the stadegy sp? of this race. Yes a tremendous amount of planning would be involved in this no dought.

I think a bit more leadership is needed from the race organizers regarding logistics of the race. Kent has already posed some interesting questions.

I think once a team is formed, we explore this race as a team and decide as a team if it something we want to do.

I am simply open to the idea of this being a reality. I think it will be a huge undertaking however. I don't have all the answers, hence the post.

(this was a response to a post by Skyway Scott) but it disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kite House View Post
Brad, where do you plan on finishing up in key west. Me as well as all of the local kiters are very disaponted we were not consulted on this or advised of whats going on. Please fill us in. As before you said we [key west locals ]would be involved.
My post was saying you guys should figure out where the race is ending, as in an the actual spot, not just "Key West". I deleted it because I don't care all that much about it and it's the rider's/organizer's responsibility.
Anyway, having a more specific end point might be a good idea.
Maybe not, maybe anywhere in Key West will do.

If I overlooked more detailed info on the race website or on here, I apologize. I didn't see anything though, and usually I am pretty thorough.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 03-18-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 PM

Scott,

You are spot on. Details of the race are a bit hazy, especially something of this magnatude. We'll see.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 PM

85 miles? Lets do the damn thing stev-o