FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Visiting Tampa

Hi Florida Kiters:
I am from Southern California and I will be in Tampa for a trade convention from October 16th through 19th. How is the wind during this time of year and what are some beaches near Tampa I can get to pretty fast (less than 1 hour drive). I have been kiting for 5 years and like to ride flat water and waves. Will a 12m kite work (I weight 170 lbs). Also please let me know if there are any special rules or hazards at the beaches so I don't get in trouble.

Thanks in advance for your help, and if any of you will be visiting Southern California, let me know and I will hook you up. Unfortunately our season is winding down right now.

Take care
Francis
Old 09-29-2007, 01:38 AM

Fortunately for you, our season is just winding UP! There's no guarantee you will catch wind while you are here (obviously), but there's a fairly good chance you'll get something. Lately, we have been blessed with some decent stretches of wind. If you're in Tampa, you can access most gulf beaches within an hour. Those will provide the waves. If you're looking for flat water AND waves...look towards the st. pete area. There are threads on this site with all of the riding areas you would ever need. All of the safety issues that we're concerned with around here are included in the "whats going on" section. Plenty of information for you around here....too much to list. Have fun while you're here bro!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Can't Re-member

excerpt from Scott a few weeks ago:
Quote:
Francis,

I would keep your eyes open for our "Let's Ride" section.
The wind here can come from any direction at any speed, basically.
So, your question is exceptionally open ended. If possible, I would be ready for any winds between 12 and 35 from any possible direction, because that's all we can predict this far out.

As time draws more near, many of us chatter about forecasts and where we will ride in the Lets Ride section.
and my 2 bits:
obviously since we are still almost 3 weeks away, not even NOAA can tell you what the wind will be yet. it could be 16m , 12m, 9m or none at all. And direction wise , it can be from any of the four. Fortunately for us in Tampa you can ride any wind direction within an hours drive.. ask the question again when you are within 5 days of coming here and the meteorologists might have given us the answer as to wind and direction by then

p.s. Tourmaline rocks in the Spring and so do trips to PuntaSanCarlos!