FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Flaccid Member

Default My lesson of the week

I found out first hand that you never let someone launch you, unless you know them. I've been told before, but nothing helps you learn like first hand exsperiance. I was at Skyway South yesterday and had just got done pumping up my 8m sonic. A nice guy approached me and we started to talk. He wasn't sure if he should launch his 12m ion. He was new to the sport, but seemed to know what he was talking about. We talked and I told him it might be better to go to the North side since it is normally lighter. I was just about to attach my chicken loop to my anchor and self launch, when I decided to ask him to "throw me up." I have since decided that this was entirely fault since I did phrase it that way and I did not know this guy. But as I walked into position this guy proceeded to literally throw my kite in the air. I would have loved to have a picture of my face when I saw the kite leave his hands and flip quickly downwind. Thank god it was my 8m and the wind was only 19-24knts, since if I had rigged my 11m I would have had a horrible kitemare and injuries no doubt. As it was, I was dragged but regained control (with an eye on my quick release). After it was all done I said "hey, you’ve never launched anyone before?" to which he replied "Only launched myself before." Long story short I don't even know if he kites at all or just talked the talk. The lesson is that you must know the person launching you even if they do talk the talk!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing Scott! That is definitely a good lesson to share with others...I have made that mistake myself but haven't had to pay for it...yet. I'll make sure going forward to listen to your advice!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM

holy crap scott that is scary as hell..

I can point out my ineptness on assisting Bryan (Bayflite) with a launch of his Peter Lynn? kite last week..
Its a foil kite and he just needed help launching..

He told me to hold the edge down until it took shape for him to launch..

I have seen Trent launch his Flyspeed a bunch of times and he just walks back until the leading edge catches air and it does a downwind hot launch..

I *thought* the PL was the same and Bryan just needed some help with the small launching area..

I held the edge down.. as soon as the kite began to take shape and come off the ground I let go...

Big Mistake..

Bryan quickly dropped his bar as the kite tumbled down a ways and luckily just rolled twice and no one got hurt.. just tagled the lines.

I felt like a fool and Bryan had to re-rig.

Could have been much worse in kite damage and much much worse in people damage.. so luck was with us.. but it was just a good solid reminder that there are many things that I am clueless about in this sport and should have asked for specifics to ensure the safety of Bryan and others in the area..

-B

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-11-2007, 01:29 PM
E-Bone

Glad to see you survived it, Wolfie.

My own practice--I only accept launches from those I know and trust. Otherwise, I'd rather self-launch.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
muchacho

BL bayflites foil kite will play circus music while launching. maybe you hear it while holding wing tip. it starts when other wingtip flap and beat you in the head! i am not joking!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Skyway Scott

Muy taco,

Welcome back you hipster.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 AM

Muchacho must be Rick Day.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:07 PM

It's all good Bryan.
My bad for not explaining my technique.
The bearded lady and stunt clowns were a bit of a distraction I must admit.
I still like circus music.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bone
Glad to see you survived it, Wolfie.

My own practice--I only accept launches from those I know and trust. Otherwise, I'd rather self-launch.
I had a "Kitescare" a few years ago when I accepted help from a non-kiter. He had just launched another kiter and I did not go through the pre-launch instructions I give to anyone I have help me launch for the first time. Anyway it was blowing 17-20kts and I was getting into position in the water out on the flats and evidently he thought I was ready to launch. The kite was up wind of the edge of the window. I had no control and the kite immediately flipped over, turned down wind and screamed across the power zone. I was not hooked in and since I was only going to get dragged through the water I hung on. The kite went through the power zone about 8 feet off the water. The only part of me touching the water were my feet. It was about a 100 yard ride until the kite got to the other edge of the wind window and I brought it up to zenith. Needless to say, I too self launch and land unless there is someone I know and trust who can launch me.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The kite went through the power zone about 8 feet off the water. The only part of me touching the water were my feet.
Ya....thats called the Messiah Launch.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa