FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
This isn't an advertisement but wanted to get your thoughts on this before I ordered one. 60 bucks for a safe single launch land is worth it to me....

http://www.thekitebuddy.com
..just wanted to chime in here regarding the KiteBuddy Anchor ..Basically the KiteBuddy was put together through my search for a portable, super strong, safe, and reliable means to anchor SLE/BOW “high depower” type kites ..for self launching/landing when others are not around and/or out busy kiting, etc..

I’ve tried many configurations ..i.e. pet “corkscrew” type anchors, sand bag technique, various anchors, etc.. but found available options to be quite lacking with respect to the level of reliable hold I was looking for.. (corkscrew types didn’t offer a secure enough hold in sand, sand bags essentially offer friction as opposed to true hold, and various other anchor types simply just didn't offer the level of hold/durability needed)

I also came across various large/metal type “screw” anchors that would seem to do a great job, but much more costly and not portable..

Ultimately went through various configurations which lead to the KiteBuddy in its current form.. The KiteBuddy Anchor itself is comprised of 14 separate components/elements --and involves a hand-build process of over 20 steps.. These include high quality heavy duty components/materials intended to last/perform..

There's nothing “cheap plastic” about the KiteBuddy.. The KB anchors are solid resin/fiberglass filled (has the feel of a steel/lead pipe) with Kevlar reinforced nylon rubber core webbing to Marine Carabineer CL attachment point ..all permanently embedded/locked into resin/anchor (Carabineer is removeable/replaceable)..

In addition to it’s super strong construction, the KiteBuddy offers an exceptionally strong/reliable hold in various surfaces/conditions.. The amount of hold offered is truly impressive and is why this anchor style was chosen/utilized.. (Have not been able to remove one without unscrewing nor have had one come loose in many varying conditions..)

Not saying that other ways of self launching/landing don‘t exist, or that the KiteBuddy is the perfect/only solution.. It’s just something I put together to fill a need I had with respect to not finding/having a portable, safe, strong, and reliable means to solo launch and land BOW/SLE type Kites.. Not reinventing the “wheel,” just my attempt at a better “wheel..”

..Woodson, if you’re still interested, drop me an email and I’ll offer one at a demo price to try/review --will also offer full refund if not impressed/satisfied..

Appreciate the Feedback,
--John
=========
KiteBuddy - Self Launching & Landing Aid
Old 03-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Tom Stock

WTF?!

Did we show up on google that quick?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 PM

Tom,

How is the run of "Tom Stock Pro Models" coming?

Danny
Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Skyway Scott

Yeah. Type in kitebuddy for a google search. This thread is number 17, along with a bunch of other forum threads.

http://www.google.com/search?q=kiteb...&start=10&sa=N
Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Can't Re-member

GOOGLE iz a biggggg company, do not underestimate the power of their supercomputers to scan the web. .... i.e. big brother is listening
Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnonny View Post

..Woodson, if you’re still interested, drop me an email and I’ll offer one at a demo price to try/review --will also offer full refund if not impressed/satisfied..

Appreciate the Feedback,
--John
=========
KiteBuddy - Self Launching & Landing Aid
John,
Sent you an email.

Thanks,

Bryan W.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 PM

What's wrong with just sticking the end of your board in the sand and using the footstrap as an anchor point?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Tom Stock

sup trent!

I do that but I cover the whole board with sand for extra weight.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
E-Bone

I went to Ho' Depot, paid $5 or so for a piece of PVC tubing just small enough to fit in my chicken loop, had the Ho' Depot guy cut it in to several pieces about three feet long for free, bought a $10.00 rubber mallet, and I was good to go.

Pound the PVC into the ground at a slight angle away from the direction to which you will be bringing the kite to the edge of the window. Put the chicken loop on the PVC once you rig. Walk the kite to the EDGE of the window, just like you are launching someone. Hold on to the kite until it stops moving forward (or falling backward) and make sure the lines are straight and the kite is sitting is content to stay there on its edge without launching.

Then run to the PVC and your bar, attach your leash, take the chicken loop and put it on the harness hook, and launch. Reverse the process for landing. It's probably best to learn how to do this with a big kite in light but steady wind. I used to do this all the time when I showed up at a weekday session at the Skyway and everyone else was working.

Don't do this when the wind is howling. This method is not reliable with small kites and gusty, high wind and the kite can move too much in a gust or lull, tumble, and then you (and maybe bystanders) are screwed. Don't learn this high wind lesson the hard way.