FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Flaccid Member

Unhappy A word to the wise!

A little story about what happened to me today...so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

I was self launching my new Monkey Kite today, as I have launched it and other kites countless times. I use a spare leash attached to an anchor, which I attach to the chicken loop and flag out the bar. We are most all familiar with the technique. Well, as I was putting the kite at the edge of the window...either I was too deep in the window or a gust hit at the right time. I lost my grip in the leading edge as the kite had some power in it and it launched up and started flying. I've seen kites in this situation lunge forward and bounce to the ground, but this I have never seen before. I'm not sure if maybe the bar was caught on the stopper. But I really don't think it was. Anyways, as I watched the kite rise in a perfect and smooth arch, I ran for the bar. I was of course too slow. The kite went from one side of the window to the other...where it found a palm tree to saw through both lines on one side and let the kite flag out on the remaining lines. I must say all in all I am VERY lucky that all that happened is two cut lines. I still don't know exactly what led to this if it was just the perfect storm of my slippery hands and the right gust to turn the kite skyward.
I still think this is the best way to self launch/land, but be mindful when setting the kite on the edge of the window! Hope this helps!
By the way...I then used my sonic bar and launched fine. It was a kicking afternoon at picnic 13-15knts...Good times on these new kites!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 PM

Yep, got to be careful and not assume everything is good to go before you walk away from the kite during the self launch.

...could have been the stopper, or line wrapped at the kite, line wrapped at the bar..it just takes a tiny bit of back line pressure to start the kite flying up slowly!

As pointed out in other similar threads Bow kite bridles add another potential line fouling issue, even with an assisted launch, and this needs extra attention.

Glad your kite made it OK! You must have been freaking out watching that happen!!!

Can you write a review of your new kite in a separate thread?
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 04-20-2007, 12:04 AM

Unhappy

A pillowcase full of sand makes a great launch partner, however its not as cool as the "David Copperfield" levitation trick on the edge of the window.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Can't Re-member

Reverse self-launching works very well for me, even in 30 kts. you do need a sandy beach tho'

Self-landing in 30 kts, thats another matter

Old 04-20-2007, 07:06 AM

Default self launch

This same thing has happened to my contra but only in really gusty cond launching from my boat. Usually it just sits there on its wingtip, bouncing back and forth a bit.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 AM
invisible

Sounds like maybe a line hung up on a pigtail knot on the bridle or something causing it to "turn" up... over... and down the other side... which is why it made such a nice arc
Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 AM

Just glad to hear you are okay my friend. Sh!t happens, at least it was just a couple of lines!!!