FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-18-2009, 03:06 PM
tog0713

Default Downwinder Questions...

Am living in St. Pete and relatively new to kiting in the area wanting to join in for downwinders to Undertow. Was wondering if on sunny days the heat of the land creating a sea breeze type pull bends a North wind into a more NW direction suitable for a downwinder from Upham Beach or Reddington Beach? Or, do North winds here normally clock around to NW on their own as the day progresses

As I dislike wearing booties wonder about the best way to carry a pair of flipflops along on downwinders? Besides change for the trolley do some carry cell phones or wallets along? Any tips on downwinder gear and strategy for a "newbie" greatly appreciated...

Thanks much
Tim Grossnickle
Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 PM

Tim,

Socks are adequate. I usually stuff a pair in the most flattering place.
Seriously, socks are easy and they are good enough.
This time of year, NW winds are often forecast and we plan a DW a day or two in advance.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:19 AM
tog0713

Bob,

Thanks much for tip. Hope to catch up with you on a down winder sometime soon.

Tim
Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 AM
stpetesal

if you bring bills and not change for the trolley try and keep them dry they can be a pain when wet getting the machine to take them.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 AM

Afternoon breezes are some of the easiest and toughest things to predict around. Most that ride them wait last minute till conditions are ripe. I have seen some N turn to NW in the afternoons, but not always.

I like to hook a pair of flip flops to the back of my harness with a carabiner. Spelling on that is jacked. I don't ever bring a cell but do bring extra $$$ money for a drink and a snack.

Downwinders are some of my favorite sessions.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM
tog0713

Default Good Tips....

Steve thanks for the tip on the carbeener with the flip flops and the change versus bills for the bus. In fact, I think I have seen you go by when kiting on St. Pete beach with the flip flops dangling from your harness. Had wondered how you attached them.

Hope to catch up with you on a down winder soon...

Regards,
Tim
Old 11-21-2009, 06:44 AM

Another trick for the flip flops is to use the small "belt" cinch strap that comes with some kites and wrap it around your waist with the f.f.s threaded through the belt.
I have done that several times. Then when done, you can use the cinch strap to pack down your kite with (the strap's original purpose). I find socks much easier though, b/c my ffs have broken a few times.

I have probably ridden the trolley 100 times over the last 9 years.
3 times the driver would not let me on, claiming surf boards were against the rules. So.... keep in mind that it's possible you won't get a ride, but rare. One way to attempt to counter-act that is to bring a 5 dollar bill to pay with and hand it to the driver, and say "I don't want change". Not sure if coincidence, or if it helps, but since doing this I have not been denied a ride.
I also always have 7 quarters, just in case the bribe isn't understood and they demand exact change (happened once... guy was idiot I guess)

Anyway, the trolley most of the time is cool. Even so, these days I try to arrange cars at DW and UW spots and view the trolley as a good back up for guys that break down or for days that others can't go.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 11-21-2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
tog0713

Default More Good Tips

Bob,

Thanks for the further good tips. The socks make good sense to me as does the strap to wrap the kite. Was wondering if you ever do down winders on South winds starting from Pass A Grille to the Undertow?

Regards,
Tim
Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Tim,

Many of those straps are perfect size to wear as a belt.

In general, I won't bother with a DW unless it's 8 miles or more. Otherwise I just do a bunch of mini-DW's by working upwind a few hundred yards, then going DW, and repeating about 15 times or so.