FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Skyway Scott

Default Lassing, police

Well, tonight rocked and was fun. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KSPG.html

Unfortunately the police showed up.

I don't know the specifics as to why, since I didn't talk to the cop (I was riding). But, beware in the future at Lassing.
I have a gut feeling that second and third times won't be as "nice" as the first warning, if that even happens.
Hopefully the cops won't show again, but I think one of the neighbors there sort of has it in for us. (the one with the yard/search light that lit up frickin' half of the park). That light isn't usually on. I have a gut feeling that is who called it in and that they activated the light due to us being there.

I think the best we can do is stay as far north as possible (away from that house) in terms of parking/rigging and not make a bunch of noise.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:05 AM

Thumbs down

Awww Man, I have group lessons booked there every night next week...
So, are you guys going to lay off the night riding over there before, or after you draw more police activity and pissed off neighbors? (The rest of us are hoping its before)
I heard the Skyway's much better at night,fewer kite-eating powerlines and trees over there too,brah...
Continued ACCESS ROCKS!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Skyway Scott

I've been night riding there for years, so I don't really plan on stopping now.
The wind is pretty much mostly at night and from the east this time of year and Lassing is glass flat.
I guess we will see what happens next time and play it by ear.

If the cops show again, I guess it's over.
That's the first time I have ever seen a cop out there. I think I have at least 50 night sessions in at Lassing.
I don't really get why they showed up.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:17 AM

Did some one speak to the police? A kiter? It would be helpful to know what the nature of the problem is and if they are going to claim to be enforcing some type of ordinance. I'm sorry I missed a night ride. It just didn't look like it was happening with enough certainty to justify the fuel to get there. Last night ride at Lassing.... priceless
Old 05-02-2008, 04:39 AM

the cop seemed pretty cool, she acted like it was completely stupid that she was telling us to leave... basically just doing her job even though she didnt agree with it....
and bobo, she was pretty clear that it was just one bothered resident who called the cops, everyone else out there loves us.....
as scott said it was probably the resident with the, literally, 50 million candle power flood light giving anyone at the park a sunburn
Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Tom Stock

fwiw I've been out there a few times when the cops showed up. In those cases it was either because of people chatting on the side of the street late at night, or a home owner complaining because they detected the odor of pot coming from the park ... when I got there everyone except for a couple of people were coming in from riding so I don't think noise was the problem.

Wind blowing towards houses, use some common sense people.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Skyway Scott

I can't be 100% confident why the cop showed up, but think it is probably one resident that called it in. It's just a gut feeling based on a few circumstantial coincidences. Mainly that the spotlight is never on (I couldn't see jack cuz that thing was blinding me) and that the cop came up to our cars right in front of that house. The only reason I parked there (and Danny did too) was because the "normal" spot I park had a two newbies attempting to drag/hurt themselves with a 3m trainer in it and I didn't want them dragging into my kite will rigging it.

Continued access does rock, that's why I hopped on and offered some advice about where to park/rig and noise at Lassing if there at night. Not night riding there, well... that's sort of not continued access and not even an option for me, unless the cops tell me that is the case.
If they do say that, it will not impact kiting there at normal hours.
Why would it? Technically the park closes at sun set, so the cop was enforcing a public law against the public, not kiters for endangering people through kiting or similar.

Anyway, I hopped on initially just to say try to stay north. I think it's a good idea to stay away from that house on the corner of 20th, if my hunch is right.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Tom Stock

It's a good idea to park further down after dropping off your gear (or on the side street), and rigging near the water instead of near the road. If they can't see or hear you there will be nothing to complain about.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 AM

So I've never rode Lassing, but I've seen it on google maps and read you all goin there for NP for a while. It would be a convenient place for me to go in the evenings after work. From the looks on google maps, it looks to be rideable on the same winds as the Skyway. Also, with it being pushed back inland as compared to the landmass of downtown, are there any concerns with the northern landmass downtown affecting the quality of a north wind at Lassing? I may be way off, but just want a horse's mouth wind recommendation for when I do finally get out there.
Also, you guys doing NPs, how much light do you have out there? I can see on a full moon, but what about lesser moon phases? I think I'm still to noobish to try a night ride, but figured this would be the right thread to throw my questions that I've had for a while out there
Old 05-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Skyway Scott

Lassing only really works on NE to SE, imo. Basically what you reasoned from Google.

It's best to have a glo stick on your board and somewhere on yourself so that others can see you. There are other places to ride at night as well on Easts. I am not going to post them for obvious reasons.