FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 AM

Default 2008 or 2003 ?? what to buy??

Folks out at Lassing on Sunday and Skyway on Monday got a first hand education on old vs new equipment. Guy named Chris from Tampa riding the 2003 Naish Boxer on a directional TT board was boosting 50% higher and smoother than anyone else on the water. Was a pretty good smack to the senses that us pondering over the miniscual differences of 2008 kites means nothing compared to finding a kite that fits your style and comfort level.

Most of the new kites I have demo'ed as of late all have that familiar Waroo-style feel. That is why I can see myself transitioning to any of the ones I have had out on the water except for the 2007 Yarga hybrid.. it was too much of a C kite feel.. sloooow and grunty.. not my style at all.

But damn.. to see someone still going off on 2003 equipment is pretty cool. From what I heard (from another on the beach) is that he worked for Naish and helped develop the bar system he rides (center line seperate from the front lines.. looks kinda odd)..

Cool guy and great rider...definitely had the beach cheering on Monday evening when he took his kite out in 30+ as the sun was setting..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Chris Bars.. He one the first Tampa Kite Masters race on a 10m C kite. Really cool guy.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM
popeye

What size? Just about any kite in the size from 7-10 will boost like mad. My 9M yarga was an excellent kite... it jumps big, but it needs more wind to do it and it had far less depower.

But I am with you... I am going to move to hybrids. I'd be willing to give up just a little depower for a more stable and efficient kite.

I'm sick of the fluttering to be honest... and I want something which will complete a kiteloop so I am not left falling out of the sky when the kite stalls at 270 degrees.

Right now I am thinking of the Royal Era... haven't decided yet.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM

you could always go back to 5line C's

you can even demo mine for 2 weeks if you want, im not using them....
Old 10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
popeye

Too slow in anything over 13...and not enough depower (I don't consider a 5th line on a cleat a safe depower).
Old 10-03-2007, 02:36 PM

actually i wasnt refering to the fifth line for depower, the kites have the curved wingtips and give plenty of depower, ive used my 16m in about 18 and my 12m in about 25 and havent even had to pull the depower strap yet, they have the best range of almost any ckite... just check the reviews
if my foot wasnt cut i could have found out what the top end was this past week.. oh well
Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
popeye

Yeah I forgot...when you say C kite I think of my old school C kites... square tips, etc.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Jesus, I'm still on 05 fuels.

Actually, my 13m fuel is just done... anyone have a 13m fuel for cheap? 05 preferably?

If I can't find one, I'm going to have to get a 14m octane.