FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-15-2006, 09:53 PM

Karen,

These guys are definitely giving you good advice! There really isn't enough good wind around in the summer for long sessions which in turn help you to learn. Going to OWC will be your best bet right now as well as flying the trainer in the afternoons after work when you can fly it in the sea breeze. Treasure Island is the best place hands down to fly your trainer. I'll go to OWC with you when I get back if you don't get any takers b4 then but I won't be back in town until late next Sunday night. Anytime after that and I'm in!!! Can't wait to see your skills on the trainer when I get back into town!!!

-T
Old 06-16-2006, 07:48 PM

OWC was fun. i can say with 100% honesty that for learning to kite, its a great tool.. to use as a substitute to kiting, it falls far too short for my taste.

why?

it takes too much work.

seriously.

you are depending completely on arm strength, plowing through the water on a slight plane, the pull is from much too low of an angle, etc. etc.

kiting seems almost too easy when compared...the angle of pull, the nearly weightless feeling, the minimal arm tension.. ahhhhh... kiting wins hands down...

...did get 4 hours of riding in.. lots of work on board transitions... def. stuff that i can apply to kiting.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa