FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-21-2008, 01:16 PM

I don't want to sound as if I don't agree with some type of regulatory system to preserve access, but I feel I need to mention something here. Going to FWC could mean state wide regulations, and that will affect places that are not nearly as populated with kiters as other regions. I understand that areas with higher population density comes greater numbers of kiters and water users, therefore higher safety risks. Eventually, the "quiet areas" will be developed, and that issue will spread throughout all of Florida's coastlines. For those of us in smaller communities, we have made relationships with the local beach authorities, and they are often out patrolling when we are out. Fortunately, we are further north than many of you, and our water temps stay quite chilly until March/April. Most of the people in the water from Nov-March are kiters and surfers, with the occasional Canadian, and we don't have to worry about swimmers and other beach users. During the more busy times of the year, we have the opportunity to hit different parts of the beach with only a few or no water users. We mind safe distances, and in our case, there are no "Swim Zones" from Panama City to Destin, as there are no lifeguards on duty in that range. From Destin to Pensacola, there are life guards on some parts of the beach, but no specific swim zones that are marked with buoys. On the bayside, kite lessons take place almost every day, even in the light wind days of summer when there are several beach users around. Of course, the instructors are mindful of the other users and will take students way out, however, it can still be crowded. And, again, relationships have been made with local authorities that keep access for all water users. Trying to have laws passed across the state could potentially ruin the bliss of some of the least crowded beaches that we enjoy in this part of the state. To me, it's a matter of the local kiters coming together to have regulations made for their beaches. For us up here, we are still small enough of a kiter community that self policing works fine. Changes need to occur at the local level.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Just spoke to Neil, he too has concerns about creating a video record online that might be used against the sport. It is a valid point and yet, here we are. We need to figure something out and as Windryder says, I too believe it needs to hit for effect locally, at the launches.

Neil did talk about expanding the membership of the FKA without membership fees. Potential members would be required to sign a form stating that they would not do listed things to threaten access and would try to preserve it at their launches. The FKA membership and leadership would act as advocates for kiteboarding access when threatened statewide. This would include representing the sport at City Hall, Marine Advisory Boards and the like when called for. He mentioned forming a network of local leaders around the state to help coordinate things and give early warning of problems.

The FKA has been all about these points almost since it was formed seven years ago this coming summer. We have acted as advocates in numerous discussions with authorities over the years and quite a bit more to try to preserve access. At the same time, membership involvement has never been very strong at all. As a result the effectiveness of the organization to serve and aid the membership and sport have been limited. The leadership, called Area Coordinators, had 23 around the state perimeter back in the day, have been active in working to preserve access in varying degrees over the years. How much can you give for a hobby after all? Neil did say that kiting numbers have grown substantially as has awareness of access vulnerability, true again.

I think we need something with a bit more binding effect than a form saying a rider agrees to ride responsibly. Neil suggested public censure and loss of membership to documented offenders. We had the same concept online years back specific to Crandon Park. Unfortunately, there was virtually no enforcement down there. I mentioned trying to find valid rider liability insurance again. I haven't tried in about a year and know of two avenues in the USA that could be pursued. Would love to say just join the IKO but despite numerous phone calls and discussions down to Cabarete a while back I couldn't get firm assurance that it would serve as a good instrument in the USA. It certainly is fairly easy to get and at a great rate. Reasonable liability insurance would be a good thing IF it could be found and for a reasonable price.

Still, we need to do something EFFECTIVE. What do you think?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Default get rid of the snowbirds

that would fix the problem there the only people who complain
Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Windrider, that is the main reason to not go to fwc...

In the past, I have been outspoken about not regulating...but...as with some other sports I have been involved with, if we do nothing...on a larger level...we stand to loose out...

The regulations I'm talking about (and let me first say that I don't pretend to have all the answers) are simple and non-threatening to the way we currently ride. That's just the point. We propose some regulations on a state-wide level...instead of non-kiters proposing those rules on us. Many (or all) of the rules won't have any affect on the way we (most of us) currently ride...just like boating rules...we all still have a great time boating, but you better have your life jackets on board...

And Rick, Neil is on... The FKA should be the voice of Fla Kiting...and the liaison between kiters and the organizations that rule the land. The Area Coordinators were and are a good idea...

Ultralight aircraft regulations are similar. The FAA DOES NOT regulate ultralight aircraft...they proposed a nasty law that would have basically eliminated ultralights (like the Hawaii proposal) and then the FAA granted an EXEMPTION from the FAA laws to three organizations nationwide. One is the United States Ultralight Association. The USUA PROPOSES rules to its members and presents them to the FAA on a scheduled basis. To operate ultralights legally in the US, you must be a member of one of those organizations (EAA is another) and agree to adhere to all the regs or you loose your exemption.

The FWC has a temporary license program that gives boaters the chance to get a license on the spot (at livery operators and other designated areas) for $3...it is a 25 question multiple choice test given on behalf of the state...it is good for a year. IT IS A GREAT PROGRAM for someone who wants to go boating or PWC now but doesn't have a license. They MUST go fill this thing out and keep it with them while they are on the water. It shows that...at least...they were exposed to the rules of the road and some safety info... Not everyone needs this...only under 22 years old...

A program could be designed in coordination between the FKA and FWC's boating safety division where the FKA determines what is good kiting and bad kiting (already done), where kiters can kite and where they can not kite (kind of already done) and any other issues we have.

This would kind of resemble "BOAT SMART", the FWC's program to keep boating safe and fun in Florida.

The FWC would grant the FKA permission to regulate the sport in FLA (as long as the FKA meets the criteria...non profit, voters...etc...). You must register with the FKA for free or really cheap if you want to kite in Florida. If you are visiting the state, you MUST go to a location, online...something...to take a test and ...at least...get exposed to our rules.

Anyone breaking the rules runs the risk of loosing their license and their privelage to ride. And...the FWC and local law enforcement have the authority to enforce the laws.

Very similar to ultralights...

In the beginning of ultralights, people thought, who cares if they crash and kill themselves...then people crashed into stuff and took passegers down with them...so came the FAA rule...fortunately for pilots today...some people got together back then and decided to regulate themselves in order to keep the privelage
Old 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just heard a report from the last remaining small piece of beach in Pompano where you can still kite. A crew of prime "Tier 1" types came down to do a downwinder yesterday. I understand they rigged up, went out beyond the swim buoys and stayed beyond them for the trip down the coast. These were many of the same guys hammering more nails into kitings coffin through poor kiting behavior after the ban here just last week.

I want to thank these guys for taking care of their access and ours. We are still far from out of the woods in Pompano and serious discussions about easing access restrictions have yet to occur. Even if we get everything we could ask for, this sort of responsible kiting behavior will be needed to keep these gains from here on out. This applies in all out of bounds swimming areas as we are under the scrutiny in quite a few. I think someone had a serious discussion with some of these riders whose name begins with "Neil."

It is just a first step but one that is reason for optimism IF we can keep it up through the future and influence other riders to do the same. We will need everyone's help in keeping things open. So, as Neil and Kent said last night in the Podcast, get involved at your launch.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi