FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Unhappy Stretched Out Line

I HAVE A BEST BAR & LINES ONLY 4 MONTHS OLD WHEN I BEGAN KITING.
I WAS RIDING TODAY AND MY KITE BEGAN TO DIVE TO THE RIGHT SHARPLY ON ITS OWN. I LOOKED AT THE OUTSIDE LINES AND NOTICED MUCH MORE SLACK IN THE LEFT OUTSIDE LINE. I LANDED THE KITE AND CHECKED THE LINES AND FOUND A 6" DIFFERENCE!! MY ATTEMPT TO FIX IT ON THE FLY WAS TO TIE A LOOP KNOT IN THE STRETCHED LINE, HOWEVER, THIS JUST MESSED UP THE AERODYMICS OF THE KITE.
1) SUGGESTIONS FOR TEMPORARY FIX?
2) I'VE HEARD SOME GUYS ON HERE MENTION Q LINE. ANY INPUT FOR AN UPGRADE AND WHERE CAN I GET SOME?
THIS WAS A HASSLE AND I'D RATHER NOT DEAL WITH IT AGAIN IF POSSIBLE.
I ALSO CHECKED THE OUTSIDE BRIDLES AND THEY APPEAR EVEN.
THANKS FOR ANY VETERAN INPUT...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM

Had similar incident on a launch, except it was a BRAND NEW bar. Went to launch, kite went up, and then decided to try crashing on nearby cars. Could only stop it with full inputs in the opposite direction. Set up lines to a fixed point and found that one line was about 2-3 inches out of whack. Simply pulled to the opposite side and stretched them even. Haven't had a problem since. Yours is a used set of lines, so they may not be able to be stretched even, but a good pull is cheaper than a bunch of Qline.
PS I'm a noob, so we'll see what everybody else thinks. If it really is 6 inches, my suggestion may not work
Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 PM

Default Best Lines

I have heard from some Vets who sail Waroo's that Best cheaped out on their factory lines and they are prone to stretching when looping. I so far have only looped by accident. I am weary of my 11 and 9 waroos stretching once I progress to the looping stage. So far my progression is back rolling - which is a freaking rush!

You may have to buy some pre stretched lines for big $ unfortunately.

Waroo's are great, but they seem to have saved money in certain areas to get the cost down.

G

Keep it real!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50 AM

Default Best Lines

Yes it does seem Best lines do strecth out easily. My friend rides all best kites and he says the line stretch out alot on his bar. I have the best bar which I am using on my Royal kites, but I have not notice them strecthing out on mine yet. (But my best bar is only 4 months old) It does seem like best did cheap out on lines for their 07 Waroo bar, but the new 08 bar should be in stores this week or next. I read on Best website that they upgraded the lines to 700 pound test, and they are prestreched too! Plus the new bar has some new upgrades on it that I have been wanting. I already have mine on order and just waiting for it to come in. If you dont want to buy a new bar look into Ozone, or Flexifoil line sets. I used to fly Ozone and Flexi and never had line issues with either. I think the Ozone standard lines are 600 pound test, but they are pricey. Flexi sells a 650 pound set and they are a little cheaper I think. I know that EK usually keep those lines in stock.

RS
Old 03-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Tom Stock

Strange it's usually a front line that stretches. Double check your front lines and bridles.

Connect to a tree and stretch the other line to match.

Q-Line (not the pro) works well but you have to buy a spool and make your own line sets.

It's sleeved so you can tie it again if you ever break a line. The stuff lasts years... I've never seen a set that needed to be thrown away because you can just keep repairing it.

Most people put Q-line on the front lines and standard on the rear.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:25 AM

Talking New Lines

I Removed All Of My Lines And Found That [b]none Of Them Were Equal[b]. I Spoke With Someone At Ek And He Recommended The Ozone Lines Over The Q-line, As It Is Strong, Doesn't Stretch And Is Thinner Than The Q-line. He Stated That They Use A Different "square" Braiding Process Which Prevents Stretching.
Pricey At $150, But Worth It If They Last...
Thanks For Your Input.