FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Awesome site and great information on the launches.

I need to do business in Madeira beach for part of a day this week, 12/03. I started planning a trip last week and wanted to coordinate it around wind. I had hoped a front might pass...it is not looking so good.

I don't want to chance the morning sea breeze and would like to get business out of the way in the morning. I am looking for a locals guess of wind...NOAA and Ikitesurf show some wind on Tuesday or Wednesday....which looks the better bet? Where to ride? I'll ask that again the night before.

Thanks Scott in advance.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Skyway Scott

Tomorrow afternoon might happen, WNW at the beach.
Tuesday, either N maybe NE in the morning.
This season has been tough to guess.
If you still have my number, feel free to call.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:28 AM

an out of towner...in town on Mon. 12/17...

what is the best suggestion for a spot in the afternoon?

How about a locals guess on direction and speed?

im an experienced kiter, just let me know if there are any don'ts / do at the spot?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 03:30 AM
Skyway Scott

Usually what happens the day following a cold front is that it will blow the following morning real well from the NNE until around 11am.
Unfortunately, that's the one bad direction for us locally, as it tends to be gusty, mainly due to lack of a spot with a clean fetch (except southside SW). If it stayed due North that'd be one thing, or NE.... but it is usually NNE.
The Skyway is the best place for the wind (it seems to get funneled across the bay there), but it's usually gusty.
South skyway is best for this direction, imo, as the wind is more powerful and less gusty, but is a pain to set up unless extreme low tide.

Then, it's anyones guess at that point what will happen after 11am. Some of the forecasts say wind all day, others don't.
If I had to bet on it, I would not bet on wind from the NE all day, but it does rarely happen.

Sometimes it might actually seabreeze starting around 1 pm, so the beach would work. Pass-a-Grille seems to be the best local spot for that.

Then, another possibility is that it might blow NE again starting around 4 pm or so as it starts to cool. SW is best place if that happens.

It's hard to know, especially this season.
Usually the morning blow is a good bet, though.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:41 AM

Thanks Scott...I still have your cell. I plan to hit you up for a conversation.

I think my business should be done early afternoon. I guess i will head towards the skyway and watch for kites.

I can't get my connection to ikitesurf here....unfortuantely it may be hard for me to tell exact NNE vs NE while trying to get my sense of direction.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Skyway Scott

iMightSurf seems to not be loading lately.
The SW sensor has been down for a while, anyway.

Here is a link that has some of the sensors on it.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Central_Florida.shtml
This one is the best of those sensors for NNE to NE for the SW area.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=pmaf1

Also, this following link only loads once an hour, but if it is blowing at this sensor from the N, NE, ENE or E it is definitely blowing at the SW.
It's the best indicator of all of them for the SW, imo (just add 5 knots and that's the speed at the SW, usually)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KSPG.html

Looking at it, it seems to have tapered off since sunrise, but still windy as of now. Like my guess last night, 11 am is usually the last gasp of wind.
I hope it blows all day for you. I think last time it died. Night riding might be possible if you are up for it!