FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-23-2006, 08:05 AM
tomstock

Hi Rick, I forgot I have to give you the full accident report. LOL Ok...

I was riding a rather heavy lightwind (plywood) board with a SHARP turned down rail. I did an unhooked raley, and I my left foot slipped out just a little when I kicked the board up.. when I tried to pull the board back under me during the landing, the frontside edge dug into the water and my left shin slammed into the backside edge. The blow was intense and I was almost positive I had just broken my leg.

There was a lump the size of a quarter, and one narrow streak of blood running as I headed back for the beach with my weight on one leg. At first the pain felt like a fracture, and most of the pain was in the front where I got hit.

When I got to the beach and sat down, the pain suddenly shifted to my calf instead of my shin and was more intense. It felt sort of like a charley horse or like something stabbing my calf muscle from the inside. I limped around for awhile and sat in the cold water which seemed to help a little bit.

I then decided to go out and do some slow cruising so I could watch my friends ride while I was trying to recover... the "walk it off theory".

When I came back in my toes felt a little tingly but the pain did not seem to be much worse.

I went home and took a hot bath and soaked for awhile, thinking the pain was due to a cramp in the muscle. After the bath I was limping around the house when suddenly (instantly) the pain went from a 3 out of 10 to a 10. All I could do was roll around on the ground and whine. I could not stop rolling.. it was intense and there was no comfortable position. Had to have someone come get my daughter and take me to the emergency room. I could not get to the car on my own and even with help I had a few pain freakouts and we had to rest between the house and the car (total distance of about 20 feet).

The doctor says he thinks it was due to a little bit of blood pooling inside the casing of the bone causing the first calf muscle pain, and then sudden rush of swelling (from a hot bath I took when I got home) causing a pressure increase which caused the extreme pain and pinching of nerves later... this sounds correct to me because my leg feels rock hard.. like a waroo leading edge about to burst. I had no idea a little bit of bleeding and swelling could hurt that bad.

Today the pain is down a lot, but still can't feel my foot and I can't stand on it.

Board with sharp rails == watch your shins.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Skyway Scott

Rick,

Tom's board is a nice lightwind board.
But, it weighs alot. Most people couldn't even carry it out to the launch site, let alone try a railey with it on their feet.
I am surprised it didn't rip Tom's legs off at the moment of take off!
I think the weight of the board (along with the sharp rails) had alot to do with his injury on this one. Tom, do you think a lighter board would have done the same damage?
I know that once you get a lighter board under you, you will be pulling raileys off while yawning.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Can't Re-member

[QUOTE][I went home and took a hot bath and soaked for awhile, thinking the pain was due to a cramp in the muscle. After the bath I was limping around the house when suddenly (instantly) the pain went from a 3 out of 10 to a 10/QUOTE]

The hot water was what set it off, you should have put cold ice on it instead and you might not have triggered such a bad reaction

Glad to hear you are feeling better , I know what hitting your shins that hard feels like
Old 12-23-2006, 10:24 AM
tomstock

You are absolutely correct. Hot water was a bad idea.

Scott, it would have hurt but probably not as bad with a small light board. Agreed on that one.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:41 PM

Wink

Glad you agree that it was as hard as a WAROO LE about to burst Tom...
Old 12-23-2006, 02:02 PM
tomstock

I'm walking around now, so I may be riding soon! Can't feel foot, but no significant pain either.. just a little gimpy limp.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:39 PM

See you Christmas day then...
Old 12-23-2006, 09:36 PM
tomstock

Unhappy

Well, I doubt it... maybe Tuesday at the soonest...