FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Ok, point taken, sea breezes do produce scattered whitecaps. Full on whitecaps don't start until about 17 kts. Our typical seabreezes don't usually get to 17, otherwise we would be riding every day of the summer. Our seabreezes tend to get us riding when we are really jonesing, but usually find us on our larger kites.

Bob, didn't mean to offend you to the point of your senseless sarcasism. For me, i'll keep watching the birds with WG.

H.R.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:02 AM

Its true, I kite does blow, big ones! Can't tell you how many times I have been burned by imight...

I pay attention to wind direction on the sensors and usually the trendline on the forecast. unless its holding steady at 20+ and its obviously blowing outside I give them 0 weight.

Wind is wind too so if there are white caps it doesn't matter if its a seabreeze or not, it should be enough to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpufnstuf View Post
Bob, its not really fair to call ikite misinformation. Its the only place where you can see all sensors at 1 glance. By the way, web cams won't show the kind of conditions you're describing. Sea breezes rarely are strong enough to cause whitecaps. I agree that a better array of sensors on the beach would be better but until then, ikite shows me all the sensors on one page and im not even a member. Best sensor for sea breezez is Clearwater.

H.R.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:59 AM

You didn't offend me, HR. I did a quick check though, to make sure I wasn't coming from left field in my assumptions about white caps.

"Full on whitecaps" does not appear to be a classification in the Beaufort scale. Numerous whitecaps is a classification though, and 14 knots is easily enough to produce them.

Scattered whitecaps appear to start fairly shy of 17 knots (like 10 or so).
It's just a chart with numbers on it, though.
Prolly best to watch the birds, not the water surface (via cam or live) for sure.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html

And yes, I can be sarcastic.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 06-21-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Default Simply Amazing!

Just rode a bunch of times this week as well. I'm riding Contra3 14m and 135 x 41 and I'm 195lbs. Today was great and had to quit from exhaustion even though it was still blowing. Getting much closer on the front rolls!

As for forecasting, I usually look at Accuweather and Ikite and have done pretty well. Cypress is on the way home so I can see from 275. Many times it has been light but rideable and then it picks up for an hour or two and gets good.

I ride Cypress or Picnic Island and it's usually just me and maybe one other kiter. Picnic had 4 guys today. Surprised there haven't been more people out. Has it been sparse on the Gulf side?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 PM

I only saw a couple of people out in the Gulf on the on the days I rode TI last week. I will be at TI or Cypress tomorrow afternoon depending on what time I get off work.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 AM

It's been really sparse on the Gulf side considering how decent it has been.
The numbers of riders that show up consistently really started to drop off about 2 years ago, imo, at least where I ride. It's noticeable. Not complaining, btw.

It's nuking right now on the BN9 Sky Cam. Trees getting blown all over, white caps galore and decent sized wave-lets (for the Gulf).
It's blowing at least 17 knots, NW. Very strange, but Shweet.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM

It was pretty windy. Hot though. I must be getting old or it's really hot... or both.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Something just hit me. I knew i had heard this all before but now with the "its so hot" comment i'm confident enough to say it. I don't think that Bob is the one posting. I think it's skyway scott.
I know i'm right cuz it's a page out of SS history.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM

Yep, it's Scott. Said it on here for about a month at the end of every post. But then I realized it didn't matter and stopped clarifying b/c so many post with pseudonyms I have zero idea who you are, for example, and it doesn't really matter.
Really windy this morning out at Madeira. Nice waves, solid 20. Perfect for the surf board.
No idea what iBite maps reported...

Getting ready for round 2.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM

Cool

Yup, just how I like it.

H.R.