FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Default Crystal River Area

Has anyone kited the Crystal River or Homosassa flats? Thinking about trying this area with a chaser boat. The flats are miles long and between 2-4' deep.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM

I flew back from Cleveland on Tuesday and my flight went right down the coast. It was low tide and the water was so clear I could even see the bottom way out in the Gulf - it was amazing. I couldn't believe all of the flats up that way and all I could think about was how to kite there. I saw some decent sized beaches but they looked pretty remote. If you can get a boat I would love to go exploring.

Rob
Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Its not as far north as Crystal River, but I always thought it would be fun do to a downwinder from like Weeki Watchee down to Tarpon Springs hugging the coast line the whole way. I have seen the flats on boat up around that area and it looks sick.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM

I live in Spring Hill and kite fairly regularly at Pine Island (Weeki Wachee) when I can't get down to Sunset Park. The water is crystal clear, sand bottom and shallow all over. We've talked about doing a downwinder from Pine Island to Sunset or reverse, which would be about 30 miles. It would make for a nice relaxing day on the water, with boat support. There are no waves, but all flat water. I'll post something when we (Sunset Park Crew) finally decide to do it.