FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-11-2008, 03:54 AM

Default Which College?

I'm looking to go to college in flordia and was wondering which schools have good kiting. My decision is not based on the kiting but it is a factor. The main ones are USF,UNF,UCF, FIU, and UF. I prefer flat water but i prefer good wind more, so both would be great. Where's the best?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Can't Re-member

There is also MIT, Melbourne institute of technology (Engineering) , FAU florida atlantic university and Eckerd college (my niece is starting there this fall) ; and they are all closer to the water than any on your list except FIU maybe

Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 AM

I think you might have sent me an email already but if your a different person Heres the main low down on Florida College Kiting, . UNF, USF (St. Pete), and Eckerd all have good educational programs and great kite programs. They're all located near flatwater (at most a 20 minute drive).
UNF has the High Life Kiteboarding club and is a really good budding program with a naish school starting up with it, their nearest and most popular launch is Huegenot State Park which has a bad ass flatwater lagoon and equally badass waves on the outside, deffinitly gets colder there in the winter though. Plus its a huge school over 30,000. ( great engineering program)
USF (St Pete) gets all the same locations that Eckerd does but its deffinitly a cheaper alternative as its a state school. This is the smaller campus though the main one is located in north tampa and is a solid 45-60 min drive from the good spots. USF St. Pete is cool cause its downtown but its deffinitly a bit more low key.

Eckerd has the Triton Kiteboarding Club which is also a PASA/IKO kiteschool and our top flatwater spots are Ft Desoto, Sunshine SKyway Bridge and all over Boca Ciega Bay, we can do downwinders and land on the campus' beach. Eckerd is smaller like 3,000 and has very flexible but intense educational standards you can do what you want but its less structured so you have to be more disciplined. We dont really have any waves but we have sick downwinders and alot of really progressive wakestyle riders. (Eckerd and USF are great for Marine Programs or Business)

FIU and FAU both have budding kite programs and small flatwater slicks on the inner coastal but are predominately wave locations.

UCF and FLorida are inland and don't get to rider nearly as much but they're huge universities with plenty to do and good educational programs.

Eckerd, UNF, and FAU have the top wakestyle riding right now.

What kind of focus of study/atmosphere are you looking for?
Happy to help man.

-Matt Sexton
www.CollegiateKiteboardingAssociation.com
www.TritonKiteboarding.com
Old 06-11-2008, 12:31 PM

I attended UCF and I'll be honost, great school would HIGHLY recommend it, especially for business, engineering, or any kind of study having to do with lasers.

Scott hit the nail on the head though, education first!

Do yourself a favor and visit the schools you are considering.

I would say UCF is not ideal for kiting, but if you like to wakeboard there is plenty of that in o-town.

You can also get over to cocoa in about 45 minutes, and to the west coast in about 3 hours.

Just make sure you get a good education so you can get a good job and buy yourself a new quiver whenever you want!

Danny