FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > STANDUP - Standup Paddleboarding, Beach-Boy Surfing, Standup Surfing or Hui O He'e Nalu
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 AM

Default SUP regs....feel stupid asking but....

....you never know what will get things banned or cause a big stir.

I do alot of bay paddling but never really up the coast. Does anyone know beginning from Miami Beach going north through 83 St, Surfside, Ft. Lauderdale etc. what is allowed for SUP use?

My main questions:

Are there any restriction where i can just park and drag my SUP on the beach and take it in and out in the surf. Meaning, if I have my SUP just laying next to me on the beach while having a rest are there areas where I cant do that (doesn't it sound just so ridiculous that I really have to ask this question?)

Paddling down the coast. Is it just look out for swimmers or do we have to avoid swim/surf zones altogether?

Lastly, are there areas that are just for the surfers that we should avoid?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 PM

I would worry about coast guards mostly. For some reason they got pretty anal on me lately.

They consider SUP a boat so you have to have a light, whistle and a life jacket on board. I use Belt Pack Inflatable Life Jacket (Onyx Type V M24) and the smallest waterproof light and whistle that I put in the pocket of the pack. [It's not a bad idea to have all this stuff anyways, if you're going into the open sea].
Since it's a "boat" I would avoid swim zones.

Surfers... They are hostile to anything that gets in a way to catch a wave. The fact that you can catch waves way earlier drives them nuts even more . But you can always choose a spot that is not good for them but is perfect for you. If they still come to you and give you a hard time after that - use the paddle (as a long durable stick) for further explanations .

Not sure about any restrictions on the beach... never encountered any...

All the above applies to Tampa Bay (intercoastal waters and the Gulf)... but I think it is the same in Miami area.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The only area I know for sure regarding your question is in Ft. Lauderdale. You can't come within 100 yards of shore EXCEPT in designated launching or use areas. This includes Tiki Beach aka the southern boat launching area, the other boat launching area just south of Sunrise Blvd. and the surfing area off Birch State Park.

It is possible similar restrictions exist in the other guarded areas south of Ft. Lauderdale, eg Hollywood, Surf Side. I would call some of the local shops in those areas to find out for sure.

My wife carries an inflatable pfd on a belt along with a whistle to satisfy USCG reqs.

Good paddling!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I know alot is just comment sense but I figured there would be more specific areas that are more sensitive such as the more crowded Ft Lauderdale/Miami Beach areas.