FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-14-2006, 08:02 AM

Default RIP old forum

As Tom has decided to no longer host the old kite forum for us Tampa/St. Pete area kiters, is this going to be the place?

Any other local forums already setup?

The old forum was such an amazing resource for all of us. Hate to lose it.

-Bryan
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 AM

I am here Bryan along with some other riders. I hate to see the other one go too but I felt bad for Tom and agree with his decision on dumping it.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 AM

Bryan

Welcome to the FKSA forums.

There has been no word from Tom regarding the other site.
This site is also an amazing resource and there is a wealth of valuable information and resources for the Florida kiteboarding community.
Rick has invested alot of time and money maintaining and adding content to this site and receives very little to nothing for his efforts.

This forum is available for all to use and the rules here are pretty simple:

Do not advertise outside of [COM] Forums.
Do not show disrespect for others in your postings.
Users can be denied access to this Site without warning.
FKA, Inc., its officers and moderators are not responsible
for the content of the postings and any links or pictures posted.

Let’s keep the posts here relevant to our sport, exchange useful and proactive ideas and be civil towards each other.
If you want a soap opera and chaos I suggest that you do it on your own site because it will not be tolerated here.

I heard there was another local forum in the works but you know how rumors go.

Kite safe

Bryan Eagle
Old 03-14-2006, 08:30 AM

I spoke with Tom and I understand his reasoning...
I just want to make sure we all have a one-stop-shopping place. If this site is it, we are set.

I just emailed asking Tom to set an auto redirect from the old URL to this site .. for all the folks that just log in and see the black screen.

I heard rumors that Rick I might close down this site.. not sure of the validity of that .. but if that is a possibility, I can create a free forum (most likely advertisement filled)..

I just dont want us to lose the ability to quickly communicate with other riders.

-Bryan
Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome everyone. The FKA has had websites online since June 2001 for riders to talk about kitesurfing. Our first website was on yahoogroups at: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/FKSA/

The FKA was created almost five years ago to: " to represent kitesurfer members throughout the State of Florida. The intent of the FKA is to attempt to promote safety, a positive image for the sport and access to kitesurfing as it currently exists." The goals and intent of the FKA have expanded somewhat in geographic terms since that time but its primary focus will always be on Florida. There are no plans to close down this site. Reconfiguration of the site is in the works however interactive forums like this one will be an integral part of the new version.

The site exists for riders that live in and visit Florida (and the Bahamas!). What sort of information, content, etc. would you like to see here?

Over to you ...

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Skyway Scott

"Drama" is the reason that FlKiteSurf was recently taken down for reorganization efforts. If/when reinstated, I hope that this type of behavior will be treated with a zero tolerance policy. It is too bad so many members lost (hopefully temporarily) a great site due to the misappropriate actions of so few.

On that note, why does a poll exist about what an out of town kiting instructor should do about a lost board?
RobertR clearly spoke to every kiter he could find on East Beach that day (including me). Anyone there knows that.
Is not everyone guilty for not taking responsibility and taking the board home? I know I left the (blue and white board as described) assuming its owner would want to ride it.
I also know, I didn't take the time to walk down to the tree to look at it, because I was riding upwind. If I had known it was Allan's, I would have gotten it. I suspect that is true for all of us.

I heard about the board directly from Robertr, so did lots of others. Everyone out there that day "left" that board. Why not blame the very last guy that left the beach? How about we blame the next to last guy? BTW, several items have been stolen in St. Pete. Allen had his 157 WT stolen off of NB last season (it was a week old) I can list more boards stolen/lost over the seasons from various locations, including my WHOLE darn shibang at the Islamorada contest.
I never suspected a kiter that day, not for a moment. I suspected that non-kiting boneheads stole it. After it was stolen, Alex Aguera, Jayson, Johnny Czeck Robert and others loaned me stuff. I felt alot better knowing my kiting freinds were on my side.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Can't Re-member

Thanks Rick for opening up FKSA to support the riders in the Tampa bay area. I agree with others that the forum should be used to discuss and express kitesurfing news, events and general kiteboarding questions. What does not belong are personal issues or agenda's . That is what telephones are used for. I believe Tom made the right decision and fully support whatever he decides to do.