FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 PM

Default Crystal River Area Newb

Im totaly new to kiteboarding and I'm in the market. I've been wakeboarding for probably over 10 years and I'm ready to move up to kiteboarding. I currently have a Hyperlite Premier 136 and some Belmont 3060 bindings. The area i live in would probably suck for kiteboarding but i plan on moving south in a year or so and want to get a head start. I think i have got a hook up for some Liquid Force kite equipment but i have no real idea what i need. I will proababy just buy a kite and harness and learn around here at our beach (Ft. Island Trail) that is about 500 feet wide. If anybody has anything used they want to sell me let me know.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome to kiteboarding! Best advice, forget about buying gear before taking some quality pro lessons. You will get some time to try the instructors gear at his risk, this stuff is easy to damage when you are new, and learn first person what you need. The odds of selecting a good setup without some training aren't all that great. My first board was a Hyperlight, long in the past. As a rule you want less rocker for a good kiteboard. Also, learning on your own is not a great way to go these days with so many instructors out there. Some reasons why this is a good idea appear at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2071

Flying is easy to do as well. Would you advise learning to fly on your own? If not, why not? There are a number of parallels.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-20-2008, 06:43 AM

Definitely good advice. First of all, take lessons. Like he said you get to trash the instructor's stuff and not yours which is easy to do. Also, although flying a kite looks fairly straight forward, its wrought with danger if not done properly. Now that I look back, I could have seriously injured myself if I didn't take lessons. I usually came out of each lesson sore, and sometimes a little scraped up. Would have been much worse if I was alone. In the Tampa/St Pete section of this forum, there is a recent thread from Tom Stock who's been riding for years getting worked over a little the other day. He has experience, so he was able to keep safe. Without that experience, it could have been bad.

Another reason you don't want to get gear yet is as soon as you finish the lessons, you're immediately gonna be dissatisfied with what you bought and want new gear. My stuffs a year old and I want more. Save your money for lessons first, then for gear. You'll be happier in the long run.

Again, check out the Tampa/StPete section for local instructors and come down here to learn on the weekends. We have an abundance of instructors. Also check out www.tbka.org.

Good luck,
Richard
Old 05-20-2008, 05:57 PM

Hey,

What about a trainer kite first and dvd with instructions? I think it is the first gear one should purchase if they do not have one they can borrow. I flew mine and watched several dvds many times before my lessons. I think it helped me get more out of my lessons and the dvds are great reference after a practice/lesson for unanswered questions along with this forum.

Clew In
Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 PM

Much appreciated, myself and a friend who lives in the Indian Rocks area will probably look into some lessons down there somewhere. I can't wait learn this is an awesome site
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 PM

There are plenty of great instructors in this area. I took my lessons from Randy Radcliffe. He's a great guy/instructor. Also, the Eckerd College guys teach down here at the St Pete Beach area. Probably the best choice for you since you're going to be driving quite a distance and coming to Indian Rocks Beach, is to get your lessons from Watersports West(www.watersportswest.com). They're right there, and they do I believe most of their lessons at Three Rooker Bar which is a little closer drive for you. They're all great guys out there, and just like most of the other instructors in this area, stress safety. If you don't want to go to WSW for some reason, I can post Randy's number, he's a PASA certified instructor. Randy teaches at the Skyway usually which would be a long hike for you.

As far as DVD's good idea, totally forgot about that. I watched all the videos and read all the magazines. As for flying a trainer kite, I think its debatable. I had fun with mine and it allowed me to be sure I wanted to spend the money on lessons, but as far as making the lessons easier, I don't think it made any difference. Most instructors want you to put time in on a trainer, and I did, but think I would have been the same if I never touched a trainer. There's actually a thread about this on kiteforum right now.

Hope that helps
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM

The trainer kite is one of those things that you don't know if it helped until you get in the lessons. I definately see a big difference from students with trainer kite experience versus those without. Yeah they cost some coin, but I think it minimizes the time you spend on private instruction because you have better control of the kite and understanding.

The wakeboard background will be extremely helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if your going upwind in a 3 hour lesson. Make sure to work riding switch as that will come in handy kiteboarding. Some wakeboarding ignore this in their riding.

Lastly, training your brain is the most important training you will do. As stated, we have a ton of great instructors in the area, however, I would highly recommend taking our safety course at Watersports West. 3 hour class for $75 will be some of the best money you could spend. I wish more schools would follow this format of training the mind first then hitting the water. Keeping safe, others safe, and preserving the sport is what were all about.

Good luck,
Steve-O
Watersports West
Old 05-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Steve,

I hadn't heard about your safety course at Watersports West. Sounds like a good idea and one that could do some good. Could you post a course syllabus to show folks what is covered?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 PM

Trainer kites rock. Worth every penny.
Beginners:
launch/land, clock positions, power stroke, one hand flying, simulated water start,"tack" upwind,follow downwind, untwist lines, fly by feel, safety release
Advanced:
-walk through moves on the beach, toeside/blind, loops, rolls, bar/kite/hand position.
-land board/ skate kite
-Hurricane kite
-Something to do instead of smelling the skunk.
- Chicks dig trainer kites

Steve-O's Intro program rocks too!
Students show up for first water lesson with 2 1/2 hours of information, already have study materials, safety info, weather links, and a Ride Guide CD of recommended spots.
They spend less time and half the money this way and are obtaining both PASA and IKO course materials and certification.
The majority of local instructors have been sending their prospects to this class, hopefully intro courses like this become standard one day, because it definitely makes a smarter new kiter.
Great job Steve-O!
I believe the course runs Saturdays at the shop.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Rick,

It's late but I will put together a syllabus for you. It is alot to take in.....imagine sitting down with a beginning kiter and going through 3 hours of info before they even fly a kite. I am stoked at what we are able to accomplish with this class. It is a no brainer for me and can't believe that more schools out there aren't doing something of this level.

Interestingly enough, you wrote an article in one of the kiteboard magazines called the Florida Ride Guide. Every student receives this....I explain how important it is to research new places they travel to, call the local shop, and get the most up to date info and local weather and launch advice. No one is going to be a better expert on that area than a local shop. That article is a great resource for any kiter looking to travel around Florida to kite.

I will put something together.