FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 10-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Long Dist Keys Cruise???

Looks like great wind coming up again for the weekend! I am putting the feelers out to see if any advanced to expert riders with long distance experience (ie. Jup to Ft. Lauderdale, Bahamas Crossing, or Tampa Bay race) are interested in blasting down from Miami to Annes Beach in Islamorada. The total distance is about 75 miles and not for a first timers try.

If I get 7-10 riders interested, I might be able to find a driver for return transport and rent a passenger van for our excursion.

Ideally I would like to get out of the water a bit earlier. Any other good spots to get out in Islamorada where we won't cause a hassle? Let me know. Thanks.

Kent
Old 10-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Sounds good Kent, I should be able to get a small group from here, the only thing is that I will not be able to make it on Saturday. Sunday would work.
I did that run just before we did the Cuba thing, Beware of the curve in the keys and therefore making the wind side sure. Maybe 75 miles on one tack but I ended up doing multiple tacks after the curve and think I travelled closer to 125 miles.
Also after S Miami there is nothing but mangroves until Key Largo.
Keep me informed. Cheers Neil
Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sorry to miss out guys, I'll be too far down the Keys, in Key West. If you make it that far I'll shoot you coming into Smathers!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 10-23-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Any more on this Kent? Do you think there will be enough wind this weekend?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 PM

im down...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:11 AM

I'm not so sure about the wind. looks a bit marginal to me. Keep in mind that this is at least 60 miles and will take some people 5-6 hours to finish. Some will not likely finish at all. If you don't make it, plainly said, "You are screwed". If you end of any of the mangrove islands mid way down, you will be facing a 5 mile minimum hike through swap and a 3-4 mile swim to boot.

Do not even attempt with out pumping up your kite and leaving it inflated for a minimum of 6 hrs. Make sure that there is no leak.

Let’s check the wind tomorrow.

Kent
Old 10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Kent,

Here's an idea, Paul may want to pick up on this as well for his Keys Back Country Kite Adventure. PLAN to finish in the swamps and make traversing of a solid mass of mangroves over several miles part of the race? Everybody has to bring their gear through the swamp with them. You could award extra points for most mosquito bites and kiters contracting yellow fever or Elephantitus really score big! Bet you could even get one of these mindless reality TV programs to cover it? We could call it, "Kent's Keys Kite Swamp Challenge!"

What do you think?

Kent n crew on pre-race. Didn't know you were into tartan? Uh, mind leeches up yer kilt, that's a good laddie.

p.s. - I hope you don't run it this weekend, I'd like to join in (without the swamp).

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM

wind isn't looking quite good enough for the run this weekend. i guess just the regular stuff... down wind from Miami Beach to Scotties Landing in the Grove for a few beers. Damo might come down to test a few directional with Garry, Todd, and me.

Kent
Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 PM

sounds good...details?