FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default IMPORTANT - Key West KB Instruction

It is required to obtain an occupational permit to instruct kiteboarding in Key West. One of the conditions of permit issuance is proper insurance coverage. Instruction from Smathers Beach is not allowed absent special city permits and even then is avoided due to serious launch area size limitations. Local kiters are passionate about working to preserve access to ride here. Visiting kiteboarders and instructors are asked to respect these restrictions.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Part of another thread dealing with these issues is reproduced below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg meintjes View Post
Hello Roberto,I see that you travel around to different spots to teach,and that you will be teaching in key west in the future and have taught here in the past,as a local kiter in key west, myself and the other local,s ask that due to the size and safety issue,s at smathers beach that all of your lessons are done in the backcountry areas, the same as the kitehouse does,as this is a lot more open and safer and will not cause problems for us at the beach.

For more info you should contact Nick or Paul at the Kitehouse tel
305 879 0549 asthey are the local school and can help you out or give you advice.

Thanks Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertovillate View Post
Greg,

I appreciate your concerns...and I am well aware of the situation in the Keys. I taught for the Kitehouse last year and am aware of their set-up. I also taught for 7's in the past and we always did lessons offshore as well.

I agree that teaching offshore is the only way to go down there and I've never done it any other way. Teaching off-shore on the flats has it's benefits, however most people do not typically ride under these conditions after lessons, and sometimes they do not get the benefits of learning from a beach based kite school, which I prefer in some ways

Thanks for your input.
Quote:
I do agree with you that most people will kite off a beach and not off a boat,all we ask is that in key west you follow our example in that even though at times we would like the convenience of teaching at smathers none of us do as this causes problems with the other riders as well as the obvious safety issues at this beach.As far as instruction for your students on beach set up and launching techniques go you could do what we do, and explain to your students how to do that,and that they should get extra help from the local,s or schools in their area on how to set up and launch at that beach.The main thing is that we just ask that out of respect for us and our launch area at smathers you do not teach on the beach.I will be happy to help you with any other questions.

Thanks Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kite House View Post
Just some facts for key west:

It is illeagal to to at smathers beach, codes enforces it.

You need a city licence to launch from any boat ramp to do comercial business or pick someone up from "anywhere" on the island, trust me years back they were hard on me. I welcome you to come back here, but teaching on the beach you can not and you will need a city licence and insurance. Been paying mine for some time now, and though i would like to teach with out paying it, its the law.

Other people have came here and taught for a season, they went to the city for a licence, you just need to show where you live ect...

Aloha Paul
Quote:
I want you to know Roberto that my posts are not prejudiced against you or your teaching abilities, but are there to inform those instructors who come down here and dont know where they can or cant teach and as Paul said dont have a business licence from the city and a permanent address in key west.

May the winds be with you.

Greg

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

In speaking directly with Greg, Paul and Roberto, none have indicated that Roberto ever has or plans to teach off Smathers Beach making this a bit ironic. The thread has been reproduced to underscore how seriously kiteboarding access and potential threats are taken by kiters in Key West. Frankly, I wish this level of concern was more common elsewhere, it would save a LOT of avoidable problems out there. So, be sure to respect the rules while there.

The Rules for kiting from Smathers Beach are reproduced below. These are a few years old and may need updating. Paul and Greg, please pass along any changes and I will incorporate them into this listing.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Smathers Beach Launch
Key West, FL
Monroe County
Florida Keys

SMATHERS BEACH KITEBOARDING RULES

ALL PEOPLE WANTING TO KITE HERE MUST BE OF INTERMEDIATE LEVEL OR HAVE UNDERGONE COMPETENT INSTRUCTION

1 All kites MUST have a SAFETY SYSTEM (a reliable kite leash).
2 Kites are to be launched towards the water, not the road
3 Kites are to be kept over the water when standing or walking on the beach
4 NEVER PUT YOUR KITE OVER THE POWERLINES
5 Stay out of the swimming areas
6 Do not land kite on the beach near people, land kite in the water or to someone experienced in catching kites away from other people on the beach
7 Keep a safe distance from other kiteboarders
8 Keep the launch area open and clear for other riders
9 Make sure your lines re wound up and your kite has sand or weights on it while it is on the beach
10 NO BEACH JUMPING
11 Don't hog the inside section, ride out past the poles and back in, in large "loops", or head out away from the beach to ride
12 BEGINNERS NOT CAPABLE OF STAYING UPWIND ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LAUNCH OR RIDE WHEN THE WIND IS ONSHORE
13 Have RESPECT and CONSIDERATION for other riders
14 No jumping upwind of other kiters, swimmers or objects
15 Beginners are required to prove that they have taken a lesson and are capable of launching and riding in a safe manner
16 TALK TO , AND LISTEN TO THE LOCALS, it is "their" BEACH,and they will help you where possible

FAILURE TO OBEY AND COMPLY WITH THESE RULES CAN RESULT IN A FINE AND / OR YOU BEING BANNED FROM KITING AT SMATHERS BEACH

Smathers beach can be ridden in East ,South East ,South, South West and West winds.For more info call (305) 407 6748

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 11-18-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here's another precaution to keep in mind there. IF THE WIND IS SIDE OFFSHORE, common enough with winds out of the east, north of ESE, Keep your kite angled off over the water when you are on land. This idea is to try to keep the kite in more stable air. The lulls are more pronounced over the land.

I saw several kites stall and fall almost hitting powerlines there when guys ignored this simple, obvious precaution. There is a very small area suitable for launching in such winds there as well. PLEASE seek local knowledge about how and where to launch and land. The launch is very small, powerlines and bystanders are very close by. We don't want to risk losing this unique launch in the KEYS.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi