FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM

Default The Jelly Fish are here

Just wanted to warn people kiting on Miami Beach, those Portuguese Man O War are out again and plentiful.

I got stung real bad all across my stomach yesterday after a great session off Miami Beach. I was gonna wear my wetsuit and booties but decided to enjoy one more no wetsuit session since the water was fairly warm - big mistake. - Im going wetsuit till the spring.

PS - Anyone know any good remedies for really bad man o war stings - itches like crazy. I think I pulled three long tenticles off my stomach one by one - good thing I was at least wearing gloves.

Have fun out there!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 PM

do not rinse it with fresh water, it will only increase pain.. rinse it wit sea water instead, for about 10 mins to remove the remaining toxins..

then apply a vinegar to the affected area. after that, you can apply a paste of baking soda or shaving cream then shave it. and then apply vinegar once again afterwards.. Hope this helps!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Interesting site you have there Angelica. When you are "borrowing content" it is good to try to preserve the intent of what was said originally. Citing the source is even better, still why nit pick?

Case in point, "To avoid getting lofted, follow the guidelines below:" If you check the copyrighted parent document from 2002 for many of those ideas you will see it phrased as "How to TRY to avoid getting lofted." There are no guarantees when it comes to lofting, when attached to a kite, all we can do is try. Also, a lot of the snap shackle suggestions made sense in 2002 before standard quick releases. Today, those comments don't really apply to most kite systems anymore.