FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-23-2008, 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=Jake;29555]
An obstacle to kiting at FHP will be the Friends of Howard Park, aka windsurfers. Once they hear about our effort they will lobby the park ranger to oppose it. There are areas designated for the PWCs along the causeway and perhaps we can get an area designated for kiting. The windsurfers always want the windward side of the backside beach, so perhaps to get our "foot in the door" we could take the leeward side.QUOTE]

I'm setting up a mtg with a few kiters to talk about all aspects and corners to open up kiting as well as launch spots and agreements with the windsurfers their. I talked to some of the windsurfers there. Thus far some of the windsurfers don't mind us kiting their when asked about the topic.

Jake,
Funny thing I mentioned that today to a couple guys, if there a designated area for PWC's along the causeway then you should technically be able to kite there. Obviously I wouldnt launch their, to many mangrove hazards, but in theory it should be open to us. Once again its going to take alot of time and effort for this to happen.

In addition, HP is going to be closed up to a year due to bridge contruction. Therefore, it'll only be boat accessible.
-B
Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM

Brian,
seeing that the park is going to be closed can a boat even make it close enough to unload gear like we do else where will there be a problem with us kiting there while this construction is happening , when is the park gonna be closed ????
Old 02-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Wow, this is probably one of the first areas banned in Florida, over seven years ago. A summary about what kicked things into gear appears below from the kitesrf list on yahoogroups from March 2001.

Getting a petition together in support of kiting at George Howard is a good idea if you want to work towards opening things up again. I would suggest doing some groundwork first before submitting to Whom It May Concern. Try to talk with the Park Manager and explore what he thinks about the way things are going currently. Find out who he reports to and how rules are created and by whom. Ask about things like number of folks using the Park, particularly when strong winds are on and few regular beach goers are present. Is there a full house of windsurfers or have numbers been dropping in recent years? Is there still a local windsurfing club? You might try to see what the Park Manager thinks about the idea, concerns, etc.. Filling him in on how kiteboarding has grown, ideally "matured" and how it can coexist with other beach uses with reasonable management.

What would you think about proposing a designated launch/landing corridor on one end of the island? Looking at what has been made to work in other areas perhaps having kiters on one side (ideally downwind, which shifts with the weather here) and windsurfers on the other.

Are there swim area buoys there? Even if there aren't buoys, is there a watercraft exclusion zone near the beach? Figuring out some criteria in advance on how to help kiting coexist with other uses in advance would be a good direction to proceed in.

Requiring PASA or IKO Level III certification as in the case of Crandon is one approach, still without identifying someone to effectively manage things at the launch, it may not be that helpful. That requirement was instituted at Crandon years ago, no effective means of management was ever established however in times past.

In a message dated 3/28/01 6:52:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, an492@...
writes:

>
> While down in Florida (Tarpon Springs) for a week of excellent
> windsurfing conditions, I took out my kite to give it a try and was
> told rather quickly by the locals that kitesurfing had been banned
> from the area.
>
> When I asked what had happened, it turns out that one kitesurfer who
> had been in the area was very abrupt with the local beach goers
> yelling at them and taking up lots of space with his lines. As a
> result, the beachgoers complained to the park authority who banned all
> watersports from the area (including windsurfing). There is an active
> windsurfing club who quickly looked into the complaints and and talked
> with the park authorities to only ban kitesurfing from the area.
>
> Moral of the story: don't piss off other users of the area you use or
> kitesurfing may be banned as well.
>
> http://www.magma.ca/~richrdsn/p19.htm
>
> Steve.
>

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone511 View Post
Brian,
seeing that the park is going to be closed can a boat even make it close enough to unload gear like we do else where will there be a problem with us kiting there while this construction is happening , when is the park gonna be closed ????

Park is scheduled to close sometime after Labor day, probably in October. Again, sometimes these things get delayed. As far as bringing in a boat, well technically your not allowed to come inside the swim area bouys, but since theres no one going to be on the beach, it'll be much like Anclote Key, nobody around, no rangers, no nothing. Therefore, you'll probably get away with it. Its still a long ways away till contruction. I asked the park supervisor if it was ok to kite there when its closed, he said yes because there is no safety concern on the beach while its closed.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 PM

Brian, Give me a call I will help you draft your request.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 AM

this should show without a doubt what one a-hole in one situation can do to ruin it for everyone.

at the time tho, i'll bet kiters had next to ZERO representation to go against the park as the windsurfers did.

things have changed, we are a community now, i hope you are able to get this proposal at least considered.. at least get a chance to meet with someone that will give you time to speak your case.

it might just be put aside due to the park simply not wanting to take any risk.. understandable in some sense.

i never ride up there.. just quite a drive for me when i can get to ft. desoto or pass-a-grille in 10 minutes..

but i hope you are able to open it up. if there is any sort of a meeting where we need to represent ourselves in numbers.. absolutely count me in.

-b

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty View Post

at the time tho, i'll bet kiters had next to ZERO representation to go against the park as the windsurfers did.

things have changed, we are a community now, i hope you are able to get this proposal at least considered.. at least get a chance to meet with someone that will give you time to speak your case.
Proposal has been considered. YEAH! got a reply from Mr. Cozzie, Director of Pinellas County parks.
A presentation is set for either March 20th or May 21st to the Pinellas County Advisory board mtg @ 9:30. I'm probably going to shoot for May 21st. for better preperation or should we speed up things and get a presentation in March 20th?? I'll keep everyone posted. l8er

-Brian
Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 PM

I'd like to be a part of the effort, let me know what i can do bryan. I'll kite there for sure, so i'd like to see this thing through
Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
get a presentation in March 20th

Pshycologically we would be better with the presentation on march, by end of may the board will be in the mindset of crowded beaches and the people must be protected from kiters.
Right now they are not so much thinking of that and may be more lenient towards letting kitesurfers "use" some of the uncrowded space.
Strike NOW , while the iron is hot!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Tom Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty View Post
this should show without a doubt what one a-hole in one situation can do to ruin it for everyone.
fwiw, the guy wasnt being an a-hole.. his kite went down and wouldn't relaunch and we was yelling for some kids to watch out for the lines.

scared the parents and bang, banned.