FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 AM

Default 2008 Waroos

anyone have any quality time on the 2008 13m Waroo?

considering a 9/13 combo.. i know that the 9 has received rave reviews.

i think a 9 / 11 combo would be to tight of an overlap. i do love my 9/12 2006 overlap.. think 3 meters difference is spot on...but i'm playing the cards dealt ..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM

the 15 is nice, about as quick as last years 13m and thats not even on the fastest setting....
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I have two sessions on the '08 13 m in over the last week. Going well so far. What sort of wind speed would you want to start using your 9 m in?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Default Warooo!!!

I have flown the 9 about 3 times, and I have to say that kite is the shiznizz! Fast, lots of range, loads of power, very stable unhooked! I have flow the 13 2 times and that kites is pretty sweet too! I thought it was a tad slow for my taste but I am not sure what settings it was on, but it still was fast enough I just would of liked it if it was a bit faster. Very smooth, it also had a lot of power too, and very smooth unhooked. Honestly if it was not for the Royal kites I have now I would be flying this years best kites. If you want to talk to someone that has flown the Waroo and the Hp a lot in each size you should talk to Wayne at www.pcbkitesurf.com. That is all he flys and has a lot of time on them. Also if you send a PM to a sandibottom on the forum, he has a lot of time on the 08 Best stuff too. He flys all Nemis, but has ridden the 08 waroo a lot too.

RS
Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Skyway Scott

I don't think you can go wrong with the 9m 'roo, Bryan.
In my opinion, it's the cherry in the quiver.

When I hopped on the 11m right after the 9m, I noticed a fairly obvious drop in "awesomeness". The 11m was still very good by most standards, but wasn't as sweet as the 9m, which is insane, imo.

Rick, if you are liking that 13, I strongly suggest you try the 9m for above stated reason.

Bryan, I would start by getting the 9m and figuring out it's low end. This will enable you to answer Rick's question.
I think you might be surprised. I am fairly confident Tom is dropping the 12m out of his quiver, hopping from 16m straight to 9m.
I know I did, and drop down from my big kite straight to the 9m at about 17 knots.
I don't see a need for a 12m kite anymore. Definitely DON'T get a 9 AND and 11m Waroo.

Is 13 as big as you are gonna go?!
Even Donna has a 15m Hyper... lol.
If a big kite is fast and performs like most 2007 11m kites, with an insane top end, may as well.

Anyway, free advice, from a guy who won't profit or lose from your decision.
I am sure my preferences are highly bias by my riding style, which is just a little bit of everything, all semi reasonable, but not great.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM

bryan, you should jump on my 15m one day, you might like it enough to go straight from the 15m to the 9m....
ive been on it in 20 and was perfectly good.......
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I have a 9 m Switchblade that does well in higher winds. Think I did about 170 miles of distance races with it last year. It would be neat to get some new kites that overlap my current quiver but then there is the cost issue.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Tom Stock

I agree. I think anything between the 9 and 15 might be overlap. I do keep my 12 around though because if it's gusty, I find I have to work the little 9 alot to keep the power on so a 13 may not be a bad idea, especially since the low end of the 13 will probably cover the range of the 15 anyway.

If it's consistent, I can ride the 9 all the way down to 15 and still be jumping and having fun (well you saw it at EB that day).

I would start with just the 9m and ride it for awhile before you pick the next size. Everyone rides differently so the ranges can be different... for example some guys like to ride fast all the time and unhook a lot .. they will need less kite due to apparent wind than someone who likes to ride slow, locked down but still feel fully powered. I don't know where you fall in there so you'll have to try it out.

I can say though that without a doubt my unhooked riding as improved significantly since I got the 9m. Last I heard Daryl at extreme has been riding it exclusively... they can't pry it out of his hands. Thats sort of how I feel about it too. If I can't ride the 9 I almost don't even want to ride.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I can't re-member

I am loving my new kite.
It's a purple 9m Waroo, just like Tom's. Scott let me ride his a few weeks ago at North Beach and once I rode it, I really wanted one just for me. I usually don't get too excited about a kite, but this kite is different. It's made riding much more fun.
I honestly think I am improving on the kite as well, for two reasons.
I have confidence that the kite will go where I want it to go and it is very easy to power/depower and steer the kite. It doesn't take much effort at all.

Because it's so easy to use, I think my riding is getting better. I practiced carving turns for about an hour yesterday. Most kites would have worn me out too much to do that.

Thanks for the demo, Scott. ;-)
Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 PM

my 12 is my bread and butter kite.. when i get to ride my 12, the conditions are (my preference) optimal.. ( i weigh about 195 to 200lbs)

my 9 usually only gets used in 20+.. late teens for some days if its expected to pick up. tho if the 9 can over a few more knots I would love to always be riding the smallest kite for the conditions.

seems that most my riding has been on my 16 as of late.. wind not perfect for the 12.. but the 16 is often too big/slow to have fun beyond some floaty jumps and stuff.. i can usually loop that beast w/o issue..

thinking the 13/9 combo might be the perfect quiver.. keep my 16 for the light wind days.. keep my 12/9 old waroos for backup.. (not worth too much on the market)

my 2006 9m is still in amazing condition minus the replaced bridle. canopy is perfect and i love the hell out of the kite..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa