FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Skyway Scott

Default Signage, EB and the Rangers

The talk with Superintendent Wilson (and four other rangers listening and adding input) went very well. The talk was not pre-arranged, Scott and I just walked in (still damp from riding) in shorts and flip flops. Wolfie did a great job, btw.
Mr. Wilson invited some other rangers to join us as we talked. It lasted about a half hour. The mood of all rangers seemed very supportive and laid back toward us in general. Mr. Wilson is still a very nice guy and still very much on our side. I should clarify, he is on the side of every single user of the park and really wants people (kiters, kayakers, windsurfers, beach goers.. all of us) to enjoy themselves when at the park. Sometimes this could get tricky, I imagine. Anyway, I view him as taking tremendous pride in the park and wanting to share it with all who enter. Pretty cool. All the rangers said last year was a good year in their opinions in regards to kiting (no deaths or Bay-Flites!!)

I am sure Scott Wolfe will testify to all the above. Maybe even add (hint) to this.

Anyway, the skinny.

1. Mr. Wilson liked the general idea (not jumping for joy.. but not down on it). He obviously likes that we care enough to want to keep the area "organized and safe" and appreciates our efforts at working together as a community to keep EB as organized and safe as possible as our numbers grow.
2). He really likes the words recommendation and suggestion. He HATES the words rule, enforce, must etc. when applicable to our sign.
3). A permanent sign just doesn't seem possible. But, one that we bring out ourselves on weekends (or whenever we want) is more than welcome, with the understanding that the phrasing is "Kiting safety and organization recommendations" or similar.
4). We are more than welcome to store this portable sign next to the ranger station, with all of their portable signs, if it helps.

That's kind of the skinny. It'd be cool to hear some ideas on possible portable signs at this point. In terms of type, size, color... etc.
We obviously can talk to the rangers more about this in the future if necessary. I would actually recommend people just occasionally sticking their heads in there after they ride to say "hi" and
"EB rocks!!" or whatever. I know I am going to.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Skyway Scott

From other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
Just talked with Scott but I will let him tell the details. The meeting with the Rangers went well.

Here is my sign suggestion for the upcoming discussion... a removable plastic sign small enough to fit into anyone's vehicle. It uses nylon tie down straps for mounting.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:44 PM

cool deal Scott.. its a great start.. i would bet that as time went on a permanent sign could be put in place... maybe we could get a big Magnet sign that would wrap around a garbage can??

Tom had the velcro straps to a tree sign.. that is good..and easy for carry..

also could just get a simple plastic folding sign.. one that would break down easy .. and not be considered a hazard for riders..

for EB .. if it has to be a sign that is not permanent, we might need to make a number of them and distribute them to the instructors who could do their best to keep the signs displayed as often as possible.

Also.. we could print up some nice pamphlets with the list of recommendations and ensure that all local kiters had a nice size stash for themselves and for distribution. Always liked the idea of having some sort of flyer or brochure that could be given to people on the beach asking questions about the sport.

*** side note.. i just read a funny-as-hell post by a guy in hood river posting a possible way to cut down on the huge influx of new kiters. if you are on the beach with your kite in the air and someone asks how to get involved with the sport, simply unhook and unleash and hand them the kite and say "here, give it a try.."

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM
popeye

Not velcro but the strong nylon and metal buckled straps for tieing down stuff in a truck,etc.

A plastic folding sign is going to blow away on a windy day unless you want to carry sand bags too.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:58 PM

What about building a small box that attached under the bench between the two palms. The box could be 13" wide by 25" long by 3 inches tall.
A 24" by 24" FOLDING sign would stow nicely inside it. Combination lock .. code given to senior riders.
It would be hidden out of view under the bench
It would always be there.
Could build for about $25 materials.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 PM

sounds like my portable sign idea wasn't so bad after all :P
Old 09-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Skyway Scott

It was good for sure. Jayson's idea seems reasonable. Let's see what the rangers say about it.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Flaccid Member

Talking

The meeting did go very smooth and they really did seem to be very happy with us for the most part. Scott and the Ranger get on very well together. I don't know that there is much to add. I would like to get a draft of the sign in front of the rangers just to make sure it has thier approval, before we print it.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 AM

sounds great guys. thanks for taking the time to make this happen. So are we leaving it to "instructors" to bring out the sign or "senior riders"? I know there are times that some people (Toby and Roy) get to EB at like 4am and wait for the sun/wind. Would be good if "whoever gets there first" could setup the sign before they hit the water? Good point about it blowing away...needs to be pretty sturdy.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR View Post

park gates don't open until 7am .
thats not true....