FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Default My final Kite Safety sign submission...

Its a hybrid of the large and smaller ones (wider, less length.. how some like it I guess)..

Has all edits that were discussed by those that chose to discuss it.

This is geared soley for the Skyway Launches. EB, or even Gulf Beaches, signs would probably have to be edited some.

I am not a graphic designer. This was basically my best at copying the signs they have on beaches in Hawaii based on one that Tom posted in the original thread that sparked all this stuff. Anyone that can better re-work this, please do so.

Also.. I was looking at the coast guards website and tho they have contact info, for emergencies 911 is everyone's best bet. They can quickly get you to the right deptartment.

I know that if I was in trouble enough to warrant a phone call to help me out, please call 911 and send in ALL the troops!

I'd be happy to supply the photoshop file to anyone that wants it.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM
popeye

I think it's good .. the 911 is ok, it just encourages people not to stand there like a deer in headlights repeating "should we call 911?". I can't count how many times I've seen that. I believe 911 will call Eckered S&R ANYWAY if the situation warrants it so no real need to list them.

Anyway, I think it looks great. But if I get voted out and we loose the 911 thats fine, no big deal.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:00 PM

I think that is great! Thanks for taking the time to do it and re-do it. I was begining to lose hope after the BBQ.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 PM

bob.. i was only at the BBQ for about 2 1/2 hours.. think you left before I did..
at about 7 a number of guys got together and started really discussing the options. first couple hours were just casual bs talk about all subjects. think the stuff i was hearing when I had to leave was really constructive talk.

also.. fyi on our boat.. Dan and I pumped out the gas tank last night and DAMN there was a lot of sludge.. dark dark murky crap. not sure if thats just build up from years and years.. or what.. but it was pretty gross and a lot of it. we can see into the tank thru the hole and it looks clean.. going to pour some fresh gas in there, swash it up and then pump it out and see what that gives us. I also bought an external tank with a hand pump primer just as a second option.

Thanks again for your help.. should know by tomorrow night if the fuel system was the problem (or just one of the problems)...

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 08-30-2007, 03:08 PM

Brian....looks good. So to everyone happily monitoring this progress, what is our next step??? Should we go ahead and seek approval for East Beach?

Team Scott?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 PM

So for everyone that isn't a green rider yet (dumbasses like me who still can't go upwind) this pretty much means that everytime i'm at the beach someone will probably come discuss this? I guess most of you know me by now, but is that what this will do? Students will need to wait until their instructor beleives they have crossed the line over to intermediate rider? just trying to get it figured out in my head.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Skyway Scott

I can go talk to Jim Wilson. It should be fun to talk to him about kiting.
I will give a call tomorrow and arrange to at his earliest convenience. I am actually pretty sure he would like to support us. If for some reason it doesn't work out, I bet it is due to bureaucratic red tape of some kind that he just can't cut through.

Scott Wolfe has volunteered to help me out as well. In case Mr. Wilson says no, I would like for Scott to be there as a witness that I didn't drop the ball.
Plus, I hear Scott can sell ice to eskimos, so if it looks like I am not doing so hot, I will just be quiet and let Wolfie take over.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:41 PM
popeye

Ice to INTUIT... eskimo is not politically correct. Better let Wolfie start the conversation after all

(I'm kidding)
Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Amber,

Great question and some thoughts on how it might play out. First off, people know you, you have been around awhile. You have spent alot of time on the kite and probably don't come off as a newbie. Remember what this is designed to point out......those that have no tag at all. It is those that will be questioned the most. Are they out of towners? Did you get lessons? How many? Is the right place for you to be riding right now? Do you need help? Ect.....

Yes orange/red riders maybe approached especially if they show they are not even in control of their kite, but hopefully they won't even receive the orange/red tag from their instructor until they at least have the basic fundamentals down and have had some success riding, relaunching, demonstrate good kite control and demonstrate successful launches and landings among many other things. One 2 hour lesson may not be enough for the orange/red tag. This will definately put a little pressure on both new rider and instructor to meet some goals before sending them on their way and issuing a colored tag.

I don't have control of how many lessons a rider takes, but if they don't achieve a certain level of skill, then they won't even get a tag until they do. Again, a guy or girl gets a few hours of lessons, buys a kite on ebay, and goes out and is a complete abortion. Hopefully he/she doesn't have a tag at all and this allows riders to put on a little heat on that rider, which overall will help keep our riding areas that much safer. Maybe it will give riders the ability to suggest more lesson time or a different location altogether. Isn't that what we are after in the first place???? Maybe I stand alone here, but I see it as a win win for everyone. It will take some time to get all the kinks out, but I am very impressed how far we have come in such a short time this past 2 weeks.

I think the sport needs some standards, and if we continue to discuss in a very positive and open environment, we will address some hard issues that we all face.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 PM
popeye

Even better, that new person sporting the new ebay kite, reads the sign, thinks uh oh I don't have a tag. Maybe I should find an instructor first after all.