FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 09-24-2009, 06:27 PM

This ROCKS!!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 AM

I like the textmarks idea! So far it's working GREAT... we just need more wind! LOL!

My only thought is that textmarks should only be used when needed. Hopefully people don't start sending other messages across, instead of wind reports.

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 AM

One possible solution for that is to have on Textmark strictly for Current Observations... and another for Possible Hookups and Predictions.

I set one up called "WindyMeet" for the latter.

http://www.textmarks.com/WINDYMEET

Really, you can do just about anything on here and setting one up takes 5 seconds. But I agree, the 'Windy' one should probably be strictly for current observations.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Looks like a good solution, thanks Scott. I will pull down the new forum, unless someone has other ideas for it.

http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimog Bob View Post
One possible solution for that is to have on Textmark strictly for Current Observations... and another for Possible Hookups and Predictions.

I set one up called "WindyMeet" for the latter.

http://www.textmarks.com/WINDYMEET

Really, you can do just about anything on here and setting one up takes 5 seconds. But I agree, the 'Windy' one should probably be strictly for current observations.
Good call man!

Another thought... we could have one called "SUNSET" or "EB" so people could only subscribe to their local wind reports. But probably more trouble than it's worth.

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 AM

I took the feeds from both of these textmarks and put them in output boxes on the far right of this demo site - http://www.scottfears.com/

Any web designer could do the same for any site to display this output.
That includes forums, etc., with a little effort.

Also, for those of you that have several rss feeds that you pay attention to, the RSS for these marks could be added to your aggregator. That way you wouldn't even have to visit a particular site to see the output.
That's the easiest way, imo.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 09-25-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM

Tip I put in at the other thread.

---------------

There are 2 ways to stop getting texts from WINDY. You can subscribe and unsubscribe on the web, or by your phone.

1. If you no longer wish to receive alerts and updates, you may unsubscribe from it by sending a text to 41411 with the keyword UNSUBSCRIBE followed by the keyword. (e.g. "unsubscribe windy"). Useful when you are not at home in front of a computer.

To "Turn back ON", send a text message to 41411 with the keyword "SUBSCRIBE" followed by the TextMark keyword (e.g. "subscribe windy").

2. Via computer. Log into the website and choose UNSUBSCRIBE or SUBSCRIBE.

Other useful tips found here. http://www.textmarks.com/info/help/

------------

One things I noticed by accident. You can see all the updates to windy on the website without being logged in. Nice to look at without getting a zillion texts.
However, the timestamp of the post when you are not logged in is a 3 hour difference. Must be a california thing.

I.E. A post made at 5pm eastern will display 2pm if you are NOT logged in. Log in, then the correct timestamp is displayed. Wanted to share that in case some people noticed and go, "That report was 3 hours ago, that's no good to me now!"

Try it.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Maybe adding a time stamp to the observation would be a good idea.
I know pilots, military etc. very commonly use a standardized approach to reporting data to avoid confusion. Not to be too anal, but we could do sumtin' like that.

13:24 @ East Beach 18-22knots SSW

Maybe something like that.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:38 AM

Easily could be done. Bob the MSG you typed was only 34 characters. You get a full 100 to use. Lots of room to be descriptive. Don't be shy folks
Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 PM

This is awesome guys, glad we stumbled onto something and we have pulled together to make it work! If I do make it out I will surely update with a text of the conditions and I will more than likely post something here on FKSA as I have the means to do so.....iPhone. Unfortunately, I am headed across to the East Coast this weekend, Jupiter, and taking my gear but forecasts don't look great. Looks like there might be something here Sunday afternoon according to sailflow. Have to get the GF to leave early Sunday so I can make it too East Beach for an evening sesh!!!