FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM

That kid has been spoken to by just about everyone up there. It finally took a cop to get him to listen. IMO kid had poor training with no specific info of how to ride local spots. With that said it is up to local riders of their cherished spot to

1. Show the best example of how they want their spot to be ridden.
2. Be ready to confront and educate about any issues they see from new or experienced riders.
3. Don't be afraid to be a dick if needed. Get your point across!!!

I'm all for signage, but actual "lead by example" and "confronting issues head on" are going to have the most impact.

Doug Widmann can give a great clinic on working and dealing with riders that effect access. When this guy spots an issue, he is in the face and makes his point absolutely clear.

Starting a new org.

KAKK
Kiters Against Kooky Kiting
Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 AM

Wow I feel safer already. Some people need to accept the fact that self policing has never worked and probably will never work, and come up with another solution.

You simply cannot be everywhere at once, and when our best kiters rip through the swim zones themselves, there is no example to follow.

As it stands now, the whole group is responsible for one person's actions.

If that's how you want it, then expect to get banned (again) in the near future when one person does something serious and gets someone hurt.

No amount of BBQs and beach cleanups is going to have an effect on that.

The fact that these "look what happened we need to self police" posts are so frequent supports my opinion that self policing is not working. In this case law enforcement made the guy finally listen... wow imagine that!!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Thumbs up

People like this kid probably don't even know that riding in swim zones is frowned upon, its assumed that everyone knows but the first time i rode any of the beaches 5 years ago i had no clue i was supposed to stay out of them. The only thing you can do is approach and ask but be stern like Doug. That dude is a stand up guy for sure, and he'll be stern yet respectful. You can't go up to anyone on the beach and act like a dick, its as simple as that. People no matter the age or skill level deserve respect. IF you see someone coming down to rig that you don't recognize, just go approach them and ask about the conditions and make small talk etc. if they dont seem like they know what's up then mention the whole swim zone issue. Its easier than everybody is making it out to be. we dont need huge meetings and harness tags and stuff like that.

highly doubt this kid that is new to kiting rode through the swim zone because of his ego
Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM

Good points.

Regardless of this guy, newbie or not, he is not in isolation. I see many people ride well within 100 feet of shore (less than a line's length) on a regular basis. Many come in to carve their turn within 20 feet of people. I do view this as ego (but am open to hear other reasons anyone would do this).

To me it seems like just staying out another 80 feet is so easy. It literally doesn't register in my mind why/how some can knowingly come so close to bathers. It's like an equation in my head that doesn't add up.
(Coming close to bathers : Negative to them= Possibly huge.. Positive to you= ego stroke). That's not a very well balanced equation and has always bothered me.

The only reason I even care (as do many others) is that riding too close to shore appears to be the number 1 threat to our access along the beaches, and obviously, I don't want a little kid hurt. It's a real threat, not just me being a granny. Several of us know this. The problem is that for many, this concept is totally foreign.
It's easy to get caught up in what you are doing and having fun, but as a group, I think we need to wake up a little better to our surroundings.

This type of behavior is obviously widespread. Otherwise we wouldn't hear about so many issues.

Alex, I see jeopardizing others along the beach and our access as pure ego. Maybe this newbie wasn't behaving that way, but that's what I believe to be the source of most of the problems.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 06-25-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM

You are dead on Alex. He did not know. His mom had been bringing him up to ride at sunset while she would sit on the beach. They watched other kiters riding in that area on every occasion that they had been there. Common practice.

Hell I didn't know I was considered a vessel (once under way, powered by the kite) until a County sheriff showed me in the code book.

The day the cops came there were many passes made thru the swim zone. Alex (the new rider's name also) just happen to be the one that flipped the switch on the man on the beach that made the call.

I have know Alex and his family since he was 8 years old, it was no problem to let him know what was going on and how to fix it. He is good to go now.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

Last edited by Whitey; 06-27-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:25 PM

Craig, that's brings up an important point. Monkey see, monkey do.
That's why (imo) instructors and vets should set a better example. When they don't, it's obvious how new riders will act.
Did he take lessons? Was staying a certain distance out not covered?

Anyway, this kind of stuff has been discussed for oh so long. You guys have fun with it.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntersirg View Post
This is all good info but in reality not many people are on these forums. The best way would be to get some signs at these spots (sunset, honeymoon) so there's none of this oh I didn't know. I ride both these spots from time to time and would be willing to donate towards some signs or help build some if it will help us keep our access.

I'd add that a good idea might be to print up some cards for this forum and keep them with us to hand out. That way we can get more people to the board. Let them know that it can be a great resource for spots, weather, and riding tips. Not everyone will remember the site from just being told, but a card would help, and I imagine anyone just starting out will want as much info as they can get.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Proposed Rules

How about the attached for starters? Any changes/additions? I'll repost any submitted.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 PM

Exclamation

The sign has been ready for over a year now !

Cost... about 200$ to have it done

If anyone has a better deal. Post about it.

Last edited by Gui; 07-09-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:28 AM

Should make the stay out of swim zones more pronounced on that sign considering that is the main concern with johnny law. Do this and I've got 20 on sunset and if we can get one on honeymoon Ill match that! Approval for a sign shouldn't be to hard it's for public safety can't see them complaining. Kiteboarding is not a crime!