FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Kiteboarding Article in St. Pete Times

I haven't seen it yet, but Gabe informed me there is a pretty good size article in the St. Pete Times today. 8/14
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Default article

Steve-O,

I believe this is what you are talking about:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/08/14/Sp...ve__and_.shtml
Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 AM

hmm?..never heard anything about a kiteboarding club at USF. Must be new.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM

Thumbs up

after dealing with the media quite a bit last year for "the race", this is probably one of the best articles published in local media. They usually throw "facts" about the sport out that are completely untrue and make us wince. This article seemed to give a fairly accurate portrayal of the sport. Thru the Kitemasters efforts to spray the media last year with accurate info about the sport and Matt obviously taking the time with this reporter to make sure that things are realistic, a good article has emerged.

We need to all remember to be careful when speaking to reporters/photograhers. A "good story" to a reporter can be a dramatization of a kitemare and we definitely don't want that sort of exposure. This could lead to us being banned from certain launches, etc. This piece really made me want to get out and ride and that is the best way to end an article about kiting in the general media here in st. pete.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Skyway Scott

I am fairly certain Alex is at UCF in Orlando. I wonder how long ago this article was actually written?
Was Sunday wetsuit weather?

There was some exaggeration in the article imo, such as kiting carrying the most risk of all the extreme sports and the kite loops at 60 to 100 feet idea, but this was a promotional article not an educational one, so that is par for the course. It was a well written marketing article for the school.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:32 PM
popeye

LOL.

60 foot kites?

100 foot high kiteloops?

Riding an east wind in the dead of the summer at lassing in a wetsuit??

Kiteboarding the most risky extreme sport?!

Pretty funny article if you ask me!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM

Cool

LOL. you guys need to take this with a grain of salt. have you read some of the other articles in the local media? This article may have exaggerated some things in order to make it more dramatic but for what it was, it captured the reader, gave some info, mentioned lessons, etc.

BTW "popeye", if you ask some of the families of guys who have died in a bad kitemare i'm sure they'd tell you that it was one of the most extreme sports...especially before all the safety systems evolved.

Its funny how you always try to cause controversy and stir things up when people were simply commenting on kiteboarding exposure in the local press. let it be... every single thing on this forum doesn't HAVE to be an argument but it seems like there are certain people that try to get make it that way.

I'm not going to argue with you however, I've also worked with numerous reporters on covering a sport that they know absolutely nothing about and its a challenge to produce something worth sharing. let's all just be happy that it was a positive article discussing our sport instead of a negative one.

have a nice day and smile!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM
popeye

You can do your own research. Kiteboarding is not the most risky extreme sport (or even close).

Here's your smile.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:36 PM

I think it was a fantastic article, and did a good job of explaining everything and highlighting the accomplishments and good deeds of a few locals. I understand Amber's point on the media's portrayal of our sport, it isn't an easy sport to understand in just a few minutes of observation, or in a 5 minute interview. Mr. Chris Girandola did a fine job!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
popeye

I did like the pics ... pretty good shots on a full spread.

I appologize Amber, for poking fun at the "most risky extreme sport" comment... but my last "extreme sport" was cave diving and I lost many friends to it (more than just a few). I guess calling kiteboarding extreme just hit a nerve with me, sorry. No big deal.

Good article aside from the technical errors.