FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 05-29-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Hazards at North Skyway

Yesterday at the Backside of the Skyway, one of our local riders fell on the boat hull located about 100 yards offshore.The end result was a MAJOR GASH on his arm, resulting in a whole bunch of stitches. I know for fact that this guy has had plenty of lessons and is improving rapidly, but bad things happen to good people in this sport.Hope you heal quick buddy.....

The Skyway is probably the sketchiest spot in town to launch, but always seems to be filled with inexperienced pilots who probably have no clue as to the dangers that are out there. The trees, cars and people are right on the waters edge, so launch well offshore(100 yards) if youre still learning. Beware of the boat hull, which is marked with a crab trap buoy, it will kill you....
We should find a way to get rid of the rest of that thing. I dont want to see any more of my friends going to the hospital. Too bad the Unimog is gone, that would be the perfect tool to snatch that death trap out with(at low tide).We could try digging it up, but would take several people to drag it out. Any1 interested in helping in the next few weeks?

One more thing... Wear some booties. A cut on your foot wil also take you off the water for a few weeks.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:26 AM

I'm unemployed so I'm in anytime to help. I know I probably shouldn't even be riding there but am aware of the dangers, have been warned and ride there at my own risk as does everyone else who rides there or anywhere for that matter.

But to answer your question Stevil, I am down 100% for removing that piece of crap from our riding area no matter what it takes. I would also like to extend my condolences to the hurt rider and my wishes for a quick healing time so they can return to riding ASAP.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Skyway Scott

I'm unemployed as well. Count me in.
Toby, in my view, you are experienced enough not to get hurt yourself (low odds), but higher odds of losing a kite to a tree (just like me)
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 AM

Already happened once as everyone knows...almost twice due to the crappy QR on the SS Surefire spreader bar...
Old 05-29-2006, 10:10 AM
E-Bone

Yeah, it would be a good thing to dig that sumbitch out, as a service to everyone, not just kiters.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Skyway Scott

Yep,

That kid walking out there could have split his foot wide open just as easily.
Extreme low tide tonight.. after sunset. Not best timing to dig.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Can't Re-member

How about blowin' that thing outta da' water? Ya know fireworks goin' off 'an such

Be mighty hard to hear a little 'ole boat hull be'in blowed apart wit all dem firecrackers an sparklers dat on
Old 05-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Skyway Scott

I just gotta share

My very first job (out of college) was as a marine scientist with the Canaveral National Seashore. 13 years ago, this HUGE whale washed up on the beach about 10 miles from where they launch the rockets/shuttles. It was HUGE.

Well... it was in a "fairly" desolate area, but still, some people saw it that visited the area.

After about a month, you could smell it a mile away (literally).
We had access to whatever we wanted at that job, and I decided that the best solution was to blow it up! This was done a few times in California, so I figured WTF! How else you gonna get rid of it? You gonna carry out over your shoulder?

The rangers and everyone else (especially army corps of engineers) were very excited about this "project" (Boys and their toys. :P )

Well, we dug a tunnel underneath it (I almost puked, the smell was unreal) and put ALOT of C-4 "in the hole" (several actually spaced out)

Myself and two others then went up in a helicopter above the "beast"
The pilot INSISTED on staying close (approximately 80 feet above it and 80 feet to the side. He wanted to see it explode AND he insisted on "pushing the button" (all these guys were Viet Nam vets and VERY excited... as was I)

Well, when the button was pushed.. lemme tell ya'.. shit flew EVERYWHERE at heights we never imagined possible.

I wish I had that on film.

Yes, it still smelled horrible out there for about 3 weeks, but the process was sped up drastically by creating more surface area and dispersing the carcass. Man, it was FUN!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:10 PM
E-Bone

Hilarious story!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 AM

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/whaleblowup.html

I grew up 60 miles from this beach...

------

On a more serious note..

Dan and myself went out with Eagle and some other a month or two ago and got a lot of that boat out of the water. Whats left is buried very deep ...

couple options to help might be to get a few powerful jetskis out there at the right tide level and see if they blast the sand build up out of the hull and make it manageable to move... we had a few guys out there and couldnt even get it to budge. need to get it more exposed..

On a super low tide.. get about 5 guys out there and see if we could dig the damn thing out.. would take a while, but might be able to be accomplished.

In the VERY VERY least we need to go out there and put up a bunch more markers on it. The lone marker is apparently not enough. Its easy to miss .. I am aware of it being there and never jump in that area without first spotting it and ensuring I am clear..

Can we even consider asking for professional help removing it?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa