FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-18-2009, 04:57 AM

Default Spring pattern is here!!!!

Looks to me like spring conditions are here. Morning easterlies followed by some nice seabreezes in the afternoon. Massive temperture changes are on tap which help fuel the seabreeze. Enjoy it while it lasts cuz it's the best time of the year.

On that note I am working with one of the weatherman from Channel 10 news. He has agreed to do a weather lecture sometime in the near future for those interested in understanding a bit more about forecasting and wind. He is an encyclopedia and a blast to talk to. Will give a date and time soon.

Have fun this spring and as Erick stated, let's work together to keep our access in the (727)
Old 03-18-2009, 04:13 PM

nevermind
Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H View Post
nevermind

LOL.. H? You're up to 27 post and you say nevermind.

Steve that sounds very enlightening. Very interested.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Those sea breezes can be very localized. Yesterday we took the boat out to north end of Honeymoon. It was 2:00 PM and on the way out it appeared that we had missed the nice easterly flow that we hoped to catch. There were no white caps the smoke at anclote power plant was not leaning any direction, as we approached the tip of the island we hit a line where the tempature dropped a lot instantly and the wind increased at least 10 knots. WE spent the next 4 hours nicley powered up on 14's riding back and forth from 3 rooker to honeymoon. Making classic speed runs in the slick water on the south end of 3 rooker inches off the sand with out a single boat on it. 15 to 18 kts out of the northwest, calm waters with small rollers. Just a great day. I wake up this morning and check the wind graph for yesterday at dunedin and see that that shift made it to the bridge but not the increase in wind speed. We left the end of the island at 5:25 with the wind still cranking and as we passed thru the same zone about a 1/2 mile in from the island the wind stopped it warmed up and we rode home in calm slick conditions. Proves our moto "if you don't go you don't know"
Old 03-19-2009, 07:26 AM

I had a typical spring day. Got to east beach at sunrise for a lesson. Wind was in the 20's and slowly dropped as the morning grew warmer. By noon it was big kites or go home. Most left but I stayed and rode the 17 Contra. Alone. Tim said it was blowin around 6-8 knots. Decided to call it a day. My drive up Gulf has happened many a time. I hit Redington and it's like driving into rain except it's a seabreeze. So I headed to 27th and had a nice downwinder to Lighthouse on my 11m. By the way rode my 9m early am. So I basically used my entire quiver today and there was wind from sunrise to sunset. I think there might be a seabreeze again today and Friday.

I miss that 3Rooker slick.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Hi there,

I am visiting the area (okay, Clearwater) from Ottawa, Canada. Unfortunately, I listened to the television forecast, and blew one of my kiting days on Wednesday, and then missed out on Thursday.
I will probably have Saturday free to ride, but Honeymoon was packed with beachgoers today and I imagine it will be moreso on Sat. The causeways also seemed 'busy'.

I would consider myself on the careful side, and certainly do not wish to ruin local access for anyone.

I could probably make it to East Beach in Ft. Desoto, which seems to be *the* place to ride! I will be travelling with a windsurfer; Is East Beach a kite-only spot where poleboarders are shunned?

Forecast shows Sat (21st) as 'breezy'.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, and maybe I'll see you out there,

Jamie Strachan
PS., I hope this is not considered a thread hijacking, I was thinking this would be in the spirit of where to ride in 'Spring Pattern'. Please flame away, otherwise!

Last edited by jamie.strachan; 03-19-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: apology for hijacking thread
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Can't Re-member

Jamie!

bring the poleboard out by all means!

We really like you guys out there, but sometime the tide can be soo
low you hit the fin. inches I mean

better place if its windy is north skyway area on an east or NE wind.
tides can be a little better there

sat looks good
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM

Default YEA! Boardshorts

How good does it feel to not have to wear a wetsuit? I caught some great wind last Saturday at Anclote Key sandbar and then on Sunday at Picnic Island. Both days weren't forecasted to be that much but turned out to be great.

I was a little bummed that I couldn't make the trip to the Keys last weekend but the water here was crystal clear and at both places we had the flats all to ourselves. The Keys pictures looked like it was pretty crowded - especially the launch. We are very fortunate here.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Those sea breezes can be very localized. "
Very true statement.
We see it all the time when we fish. I have regularly seen the wind outta the west @ 10 knots around picnic, only to cross over to St. Pete @ Weedon Island to see a localized East Seabreeze blowing E @ 5 knots. I've also seen W15k at Egmont key, taken the 5 mi ride to skyway and seen it blowing E 10k only a few minutes later. As the summer approaches you see a lot more of it, and there will usually be a cloud line that builds along the boundary. Obviously as the summer heats up those lines explode into the storms we all know and love.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM

Jamie,

Get to East Beach early. Better wind and less crowded. Great spot!