FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Default One extreme to the other

Here are two images that I captured this year that are very interesting to me. The first one was an amazing display of mother nature as a front is passing through. The wall on the inside was nothing I had ever seen before. Taken in January at Honeymoon Island on the Gulf of Mexico. Winds were getting up to 40 prior to the front.

The next shot was taken yesterday on Daylights savings. I think it is my favorite day of the year. The water was beautiful, the vibe on the beach was epic, and I was so excited to get out and ride without a wetsuit. Hallelujah!!!!!
Never even got wet.

On a side note, many of you know that I am huge fan of a big light wind kite. Some believe that a big board and small kite is the way to go. I believe in the big board and big kite concept. Nothing can replace that low end grunt that only a big kite can deliver. Winds were 10-12mph. Kite was Contra 17M and Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck. Rider in the pic was 190lbs.
Location IRB on the Gulf. Yes thats the Gulf, completely flat and we were zooming around for hours. Riding toeside, blind, and even threw in some kite loops. I guess its all in how you look at things, but for me perfect conditions.

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-09-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM

very cool pics Steve-O. Not one white cap and your riding. Unreal.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Default 17+ big Board!!

Steve-O Contra 17 w/ EXT gets 200+ going in 12k. The only thing I have seen better out there is the Flysurfer silver arrow 2.... Will
Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 PM

It's a bummer the Contra 17 has been discontinued for 2009, but clearly the Crossbow 16 is the replacement.

With lightwind season approaching, we will have a 16 Crossbow available for demo soon. Can't wait to give it a spin. Many have asked about this kite, so I will let you know when its ready to fly.

In the mean time, enjoy the 9M weather.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 PM

those new Xbows have someserious low end. my primary kite this season has been a 9M and I have never missed a session with the 13. i bet that 16 will het you having fun in 10-12 kts with a glide or surfboaord. ive riden my 9 upwind with a skimboard in 15.