FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-23-2009, 08:29 AM

I talked to the meteorologist Steve-O yesterday about 3/4 of the way through my downwinder about the strange winds. I was well lit on a 12 at 190lbs from north Clearwater to redington beach. He said he came up for the south and it was all east wind until he got into the Indian rocks area.

While I was riding N/NNW wind my buddy was at lassing park on his 9m...

Maybe Steve-O will chime in today and give us his thoughts.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 AM

That's mind numbing!!!

So picture this. It's 6pm on Sunday, kites on the bay are getting a solid 20+ from the east and only 40 minute drive north and kites are getting hammered from the North. A 90 degree wind differential. That is just amazing and something I can't say I have witnessed very often. Usually in the past, when it goes east in the evening, it goes east everywhere.

20+ is alot of wind and to have two completely different wind directions that close together is just fascinating. I guess I am a wind nerd.

This is day 6 of the run and no end in sight.

No I really don't have any thoughts, but a great question for a professional meteroligist which I am not. I guess usually when I have seen a seabreeze this hard, it gets all the way down south and even into the bay. Not yesterday!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 AM

I work in Largo, and live in St Pete. I hate being at work, see it nuking, and when I get down to St Pete to get my gear, it's windless. We live in a strange area. Unfortunately, if I keep everything in my care, there will never be wind in Largo
Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 AM

By the way, did anybody else notice the dude with the Fuel, showing his buddy how to kite on the beach at EB. I'm not trying to bash or anything, but it was the first time my girlfriend got to spend a day kiting with me, and this dude sets up next to us. While setting up, we could overhear him telling his buddy that he didn't understand why people take lessons. Anyway, he ended up handing the kite over to his buddy on the beach, his buddy had no harness on, and there was no safety leash attached to the kite. Oh, the "instructor" had a wrist leash on, but it wasn't attached to the kite. So his friend ends up looping the kite onto a trainer kite(while in the air) of someone taking a lesson. I'm shocked that his friend didn't get injured. As I was about to walk over and say something, somebody else made a comment to them, and they ended up packing it up. Surprisingly the incident went on longer than I thought it should have. I feel bad, because I should have said something sooner, but I'm a fairly new kiter, and none of the vets went over and said something, so I didn't feel I had the right. Next time, I'm going to say something sooner, because it wasn't what I wanted my girlfriend seeing on her first outing.
Shame on me for being too slow to nicely say something to the dude about injuring bystanders or getting us banned.