FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 AM

Question Race Kiteboards

I'm thinking of getting a race kiteboard.
Not that I race professionally, but just for fun I like to give pros hard time sometimes ...

Searched around and got confused with vast variety of board shapes and straps/fins configuration.
[I guess, everybody is still experimenting with what works best for races]

See some images attached.
[I didn't find any pix of new Jeff Kafka's "Race Quad II" board - if anyone has it, please share]

So, the questions are:

1. What's with the angle of the fins, why are they tilted outwards so much?

2. Why are the fins so long - isn't it going to slow the board down?

3. Some boards are quad-fin, some are two-fin - any significant difference in behavior?

4. I take it, these boards are designed for course-racing (i.e. balanced for good both upwind AND downwind perfomance). How good are those for downwind only?

Last edited by Russky; 10-22-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:26 AM

Dennis,

I have been debating getting a race board for a couple seasons as well. My take is that they are experimenting and constantly getting better. Maybe someone like Damien can hop on and answer. I too would like to know what you asked.

To add, I would be getting it also to "sight see" on days when it is blowing sub 13. Damien (or Kent or anyone), do these boards have significantly better light wind performance than a retro-fish?
Would I be pointing as high upwind as windsurfers when it's blowing 9 to 12 knots? We have a few Olympic level windsurfers that ride our beaches, and it'd be a blast to be able to keep up with them in light winds.

Thanks for any info.

As a side-note, are we ever going to (course) race around here? Last season someone mentioned setting something up. I could have a site up in less than one day to support it, if someone wanted to do something.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:56 AM

These boards are designed to go upwind at a very tight angle to the wind first. (First man to the weather mark wins most races) Then the secondary design criteria just allow you to survive down wind at high speed so you can go upwind again.

The large size and number of fins is the result of riders finding that by riding the board flat ( top not tilted towards you) they are able ride at a higher angle to the wind, at faster speeds.

So the big difference here is they are not using the rail or an edge of the board, they are trying to keep the board flat and out of the water and they are creating resistance for the kite by using the surface area and angle of the fins in the water. Like the rudders on a Hobie Cat.

I wouldn't think that these would be the best choice for mostly downwinders. Not much rocker and they are made for tacking up wind not carving a jibe downwind.

I think each of us should get one and learn how to ride it well, then race with each other.

Would love to hear from Kent or Damo on this topic.

Last edited by Whitey; 10-22-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 AM

Howdy,

You will actually see fins on the newest course boards are actually more straight while last year they and angles of out to 35 degrees. The difference is that now boards are being ridden more flat while last year fins were geared toward driving a board that is on an extreme edge.

Because boards are not gaining as much from the lateral resistance won by using a full edge, this years boards must use fins for both lateral resistance as well as lift. Generally guys are trying to get away with as much fin as they can hold on to off the wind.

Most of the competitive boards this year are quads while last year twins seemed to be the way to go. I noticed that the larger fins are now being moved far forward and around the front foot. This really allows riders to drive off this fin while pushing hard up wind.

While these course boards are really outstanding in light wind and upwind angles, I wouldn't wish one on anyone to use during a down wind event. It might be the case that some of these boards will do ok off the wind if smaller fins are used.

I think that it is clear that there are about 3 makers of boards that have stuff that is working. Bruno's, NJS, and Mike Z.

Stuff seems to be stabilizing around 20-21 inches wide with 17 inch tails. Longer boards in the 6 ft. range allow for more nose scoop and generally work better on rough conditions. Smaller boards down to around 5'5 are very good in flat water and reduce windage on the nose.

I'd personally recommend getting a course board if you live in FL as it will triple the amount of days you get on the water and add a totally new dimension of "cruising". Good Luck.

PS. all of this being said, I'm still looking for a good course board and don't have a clue as to what to get or what will work!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks Kent.

So can these boards make kiters competitive with world class windsurfers in sub 13 on a course?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:30 AM

it's getting closer, but not yet. Down wind the kiters have it for sure, but on a course it would take a world class kite racer to beat an advanced intermediate formula racer.

I don't doubt that by next year's nationals that the riders and equipment will be equal to the best windsurfers around a course. It is funny to see however that in winds ranging from 6-9 knots that a kiter on a 16 CB IDS using 35 meter lines and a new race board would likely beat a formula windsurfer around a course. Haven't got to test that yet, but i'm 80% sure.