FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2008, 08:34 AM

Default Dumb move of the day - Sunday at EB

kid on red 2008 11m waroo letting his friend try out his kite. I was on water watching the show.. launching from shoreline with kite towards water (only smart thing done)..

guy obviously has no idea how to fly a kite and it goes up, then down, then relaunch and it goes up to 12...then dives directly towards the road, does at least 2 complete loops, scatters people and the beach and finally flags out to safety.

i ride up and ask the kid that owns the kite (ive seen him trying to ride the last couple times i've been out.. new rider..lots of walks up the beach)..

i say something like "are you giving a lesson?" he says "no" .. i say "does he know how to fly a kite?".. he says "ya, but not one this big".. i say "do not launch him again.. very unsafe"... and i ride off and kept a watch.

if the owner of kite is reading this, you have to realize how absolutely stupid that was. if the guy you launched didnt know how to flag out the kite or if the wind came up he would have been seriously hurt. not to mention the ton of people on the beach.. stunts like that risk the beach access for all of us.

Please dont ever do that again.. if your friend took lessons and you want to have him demo your kite.. or even if you are going to be one of those hardasses that insists on not taking lessons.. you launch the kite and you both must absolutely walk out to the sandbar.. takes a few minutes, but 10000% safer for everyone..

sorry to sound like a prick, but you really could have hurt your friend or someone on the beach.

Everyone's primary concern is for safety and keep our riding areas open..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa

Last edited by bryanleighty; 02-18-2008 at 01:31 PM.