FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northwest Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the tips.
I am watching ebay. My leanings are to start with Slingshot Fuel along the 11M range, but the deals on the new Best kites look nice as well.

I wont purchase a kite until I get a lesson or two in. I just want to buy a trainer because I can start messing with that now. I understand the power zones and wind windows from flying stunters. I have been drug down the beach by a couple of those before.

lol
Old 12-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the tips.
I am watching ebay. My leanings are to start with Slingshot Fuel along the 11M range, but the deals on the new Best kites look nice as well.

I wont purchase a kite until I get a lesson or two in. I just want to buy a trainer because I can start messing with that now. I understand the power zones and wind windows from flying stunters. I have been drug down the beach by a couple of those before.

lol
Old 12-16-2004, 07:45 PM

good plan, looks like you're on the right track.

You can keep the trainer kite for buggy and mountain board later on.
Ivan cleared out some nice flat spots on the beach, so I'll be looking for a mountain board to play with my small kite.

some of those under $200 deals on iWindsurf look hard to pass up, and a small kite, 11m range will be managable up to 15mph for learning, almost a trainer IMO. (when you get better, you'll use that 11m with a small board in 20-30mph eventually).

and like you said, the Best deals are nice, great to get a new kite, has it's advantages.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:45 PM

good plan, looks like you're on the right track.

You can keep the trainer kite for buggy and mountain board later on.
Ivan cleared out some nice flat spots on the beach, so I'll be looking for a mountain board to play with my small kite.

some of those under $200 deals on iWindsurf look hard to pass up, and a small kite, 11m range will be managable up to 15mph for learning, almost a trainer IMO. (when you get better, you'll use that 11m with a small board in 20-30mph eventually).

and like you said, the Best deals are nice, great to get a new kite, has it's advantages.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 PM

Wow thanks for the help folks
I have been lurking on several boards, reading and posting.
I had started to feel the the world of kiteboarding was one of those closed communities that was going to be hard to break into.

I appreciate the responses. From what I have been reading there are a growing number of problems steming from new riders that dont understand the dos and donts, being reckless and causing problems for the sport at large.

It seems that in that case, newbie indoctrination would be a paramount concern. This board and others like it do a great job in facilitating that
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 PM

Wow thanks for the help folks
I have been lurking on several boards, reading and posting.
I had started to feel the the world of kiteboarding was one of those closed communities that was going to be hard to break into.

I appreciate the responses. From what I have been reading there are a growing number of problems steming from new riders that dont understand the dos and donts, being reckless and causing problems for the sport at large.

It seems that in that case, newbie indoctrination would be a paramount concern. This board and others like it do a great job in facilitating that
Old 12-17-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dix
How'y'r doing Str8up,

Agree that safety and ban prevention go together.

Last year we had some guys from Pensacola visiting FWB say during a friendly discussion, "we don't use leashes anymore".

This was a year ago, so maybe the attitude has changed?

Where do you guys go in strong NW? I'm waiting for Sunday NW25-30.
Leeside can be really bad with anything W in it. As long as it doesn't go WNW, We'll be OK but marginal. DAMN! why can't we get a good N or NE?

BTW, Leeside has NEW sand! The state park people (from Pensacola )
set up a huge dredge and piped in a huge sand bar. Now we have a nice sandy spot almost as good as the Gulf side!

Hey TJ, if you make it to FWB Leeside park this weekend, look for the guy wearing a black helmet, I'll help you check rigging and get started.
- Dix
Don't know who would have said that but the attitued has always been use a kite leash. Now maybe they said they don't use board leashes and this would be a true statement. All the local kiters who fly on Pensacola Beach have had and still have a great safety attitude. You might have had someone from Pensacola who rides in Perdido Beach or Johnsons Beach and then I don't know as that is a whole different group of guys??
Old 12-17-2004, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dix
How'y'r doing Str8up,

Agree that safety and ban prevention go together.

Last year we had some guys from Pensacola visiting FWB say during a friendly discussion, "we don't use leashes anymore".

This was a year ago, so maybe the attitude has changed?

Where do you guys go in strong NW? I'm waiting for Sunday NW25-30.
Leeside can be really bad with anything W in it. As long as it doesn't go WNW, We'll be OK but marginal. DAMN! why can't we get a good N or NE?

BTW, Leeside has NEW sand! The state park people (from Pensacola )
set up a huge dredge and piped in a huge sand bar. Now we have a nice sandy spot almost as good as the Gulf side!

Hey TJ, if you make it to FWB Leeside park this weekend, look for the guy wearing a black helmet, I'll help you check rigging and get started.
- Dix
Don't know who would have said that but the attitued has always been use a kite leash. Now maybe they said they don't use board leashes and this would be a true statement. All the local kiters who fly on Pensacola Beach have had and still have a great safety attitude. You might have had someone from Pensacola who rides in Perdido Beach or Johnsons Beach and then I don't know as that is a whole different group of guys??
Old 12-17-2004, 04:11 PM

Sorry, meant Kite leash. This was over a year ago, I talked to the guy about it, no drama as the Ausies say.

Do you guys have any plans for Sunday if we get NW 15-25 ?

Got to practice a few days last week, so not too rusty for Sunday I hope.

Good winds,
Dix
Old 12-17-2004, 04:11 PM

Sorry, meant Kite leash. This was over a year ago, I talked to the guy about it, no drama as the Ausies say.

Do you guys have any plans for Sunday if we get NW 15-25 ?

Got to practice a few days last week, so not too rusty for Sunday I hope.

Good winds,
Dix